Your nomination for the best post over the past ten years

MandaC

Please nominate your best threads or posts here over the first ten years - Brendan

I can't believe AAM is 10 years old the same week as as I hit the big 4 oh. Where have the years gone.

There have been some really helpful contributors down the years and there have been some not so. There have been some really funny (unintentional) posts and posters, some of which are now banned. For me the thread which stands out was french chef was hilarious (and rude) and was a nightmare for the mods and ended up being banned. It was a thread about macaroon bars or something and everyone was getting stressed out.

Well done Brendan and all the Mods. and thanks for everything for the past 10 years. Time to raise a glass to to everyone part of the last 10 years and those no longer with us.

Heres to the next 10 and all they bring.

Re: AAM 10 year birthday party Friday 20 November

For me the thread which stands out was french chef was hilarious (and rude) and was a nightmare for the mods and ended up being banned. It was a thread about macaroon bars or something and everyone was getting stressed out.

Hi Manda

I had not seen that thread. But here it is. The thread was closed but no one was banned because of it. There is a banned user on the thread, but he was banned for other posts. We delete the posts which result in the bannings. This confuses people. They see a user marked as banned, and think "There is nothing wrong with his posts". But they don't see the offending posts.

Ah yes, Brendan, that was the thread, but I am not sure if there are some posts deleted because I thought it went a bit more downhill before being locked..... I am trying to think of other funny or odd ones. I usually find the random ones the funniest. Or where someone posts something and then because nobody agrees with them, they lose the plot and have a canary. In fairness, usually you spot a poster and you dont have to be mystic meg to realise this person will end up being banned. A couple in particular spring to mind.

There have also been a couple of sad ones and I would love to know how things turned out for the poster. Again a recent couple spring to mind, people struggling with the downturn in economy.

Congratulations Brendan et al.

Brilliant website, I love it and like the others read it every day.

I suppose funny ones will be the most remembered. My own preference is for the really useful ones. Ones where I think "Wish I had written that..."

I will come up with a few:

"Guide for unemployed people" by Welfarite is one which I recommend to people all the time.

A very live one is "MBNA is torturing me" by HelenS which resulted in a news item in the Irish Independent and the issue has been raised on various radio programmes today. This will have the effect, I hope, of causing people to avoid MBNA and their eventual torture if they fall into arrears.

I enjoyed my own attempts "predicting the date of the Irish Nationwide Demutualisation"

I also enjoyed my attempt to explain the CGT losses on eircom shares
This combines information with entertainment value. At the time, there were lengthy articles in the papers, especially by Dominic Coyle of the Irish Times, with tables and computers and calculators, when the answer was simply multiply the proceeds by 43 and divide by 100 and subtract this from the proceeds.

How to link to a particular post within a thread.

Let's say you want to link to post no. 3 on this thread.

Right click on the number 3

If you search for a thread, copying the link won't always work. So click on post no. 1 in that thread instead.

I loved this one:

Amazing Job Offer

I even asked Clint to set his phone to vibrate in his pocket in case we wouldn't hear it with the Bobs on the Beat hair dryers. He agreed to this, even though he says the vibrating makes his eyes water.
this line makes my eyes water!!!

I noticed the OP of the thread has been banned....am I the only one who get mildy curious about why some posters get banned?

There was also a guy who joined about a year or more to share his vast knowledge about share trading - a totally obnoxious character but compulsive reading !! Anyone got a link? (I can't think of his name and/or any keywords he would have used)

Found it !!

Day Trading & the poster was NikolazTesla (banned)....the guy could well be a multimillionaire genius, but sooooo annoying!!

Brendan, seeing as you like helpful posts, I still get a lot of private responses about a couple of posts I made ......this one in particular dates back to 2005 and as a result of it, I still get PM's asking me to help with Company Law/CRO Issues.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showpost.php?p=81156&postcount=8

My favourites to reply to are the ones involving company searches, I love acting the super sleuth.

It was great at the time to see it made into a key post. I was only really getting stuck into the Company Law side of things and I remember being chuffed with the positive feedback.

MandaC I think you're right and there must be something missing from the macaroons post as it just doesn't seem funny but then again I have a funny sense of humour as I don't find the dog food one funny either.

The post that still haunts me is the one where a lady came on and said during the night her husband had lost 40K gambling on the internet on a poker or bookmaker site. To this day I still can't get over this.

The other one that shocked me was the guy who rolled over the loan on his car whereby he now had an expensive car but owed way more than it was worth. He wouldn't listen to his wife, he felt he was entitled to the flash car no matter that he couldn't afford it and they were going down the swanny (spelling?) financially.

MandaC I think you're right and there must be something missing from the macaroons post as it just doesn't seem funny but then again I have a funny sense of humour as I don't find the dog food one funny either.

Normally, posts are soft deleted so they are there, but just not visible. There are no deleted posts on this thread. They could have been hard deleted, but it would be very ususual.

Brendan

Back