Your most useful purchase.

ali

Yesterday I pulled out a little 2 step ladder that I bought for my first house a hundred years ago. I use it so regularly that it made me think it has paid for itself a million times over.

I bought a new really sharp kitchen knife last month and every time I use it now I wonder how I ever managed without it.

Anyone?

Mini travel iron - small enough to fit in a pocket. Have it for c.10 years. You'd be surprised how many hotels dont have an iron in each room and going to a meeting with a creased shirt does not give the right impression.

A cordless screwdriver that someone gave me and a bottle opener that's shaped like a key come in quite handy, but i didn't purchase either. Maybe Colm Rapple's 'Family Finance 2002' was the best thing I ever bought (probably could have got that in the Library). I don't buy/have much stuff, however, I'm in the middle of moving house and am living out of bags currently; this has given me a renewed appreciation of just how little stuff I actually need.

Our mattress (not for that ;) ) but just for the comfort. Bought it a few years ago and spent a lot on it (1,500 I think). Out-does the beds in most "good" hotels we've stayed in. Worth every penny.

My little 50cc scooter
Yes, scooters are pretty uncool and I look like a teenager on it
And the bikers won't nod at me :(, They shun scooters

But I can skip down the shops or work or anywhere in no time.
No buses, luas, Dart or cycling anymore

Worth very little, around €300 and it's scratched to bits.
But I love it and will never sell it!

My coffee maker. It's on the go a lot, ( I know too much coffee), but I would curl up and die if there wasn't coffee and my trusty little coffee-maker. Also, as a gardener I have a little handheld thingie that is like a mix between a fork, a small shovel and a hoe,from Lidl or Aldi and cost about a fiver. It and my secateurs go everywhere with me in the garden.

My V shaped pillow, put my head in the bend of it and wrap the rest of it round me, so comfortable!

My husband has a garage full of most useful things........can never find what we are looking for when we need it though!

Mini travel iron - small enough to fit in a pocket. Have it for c.10 years. You'd be surprised how many hotels dont have an iron in each room and going to a meeting with a creased shirt does not give the right impression.

+1 on that. It also means that I can usually get away with cabin baggage when travelling which saves so much hassle.

Every coffee machine I have ever bought, and there have been a succession of them. For my husband it has to be his IPod ( touch,32 gig, blah blah) which rarely leaves his hand. Ooh, also my babyliss 'big hair' thingy which actually gives a blowdry like the hairdressers do, only better.

If we are including things we got for free I'd have to say that my wife makes it into my top ten.

Joining AAM, I have saved a fortune form heeding all of the advice and information contained here. I don't know how I managed without it:)

My camping chairs. I never go camping. I use them when we have visitors or when we want to sit outside. They cost around 7 euro each in Dunnes a few years back. I have 2 of them, theyre black, but I saw some bright blue ones this year that got me interested! My husband pulled me away from them.

Terribly "girly" I know, but it's got to be my hair straightener - having grown up with thick wavy hair that never looked tidy, it's what I've been waiting for all my life!!

@micmclo - I'll nod at you if we ever pass on the road!

My Babyliss big hair dryer..saved a fortune.

A"Becko" portable TV,which Ive had about 15 years,never a days trouble.

My "Wand", (most women will know what that is..nothing too exciting guys ,its a hair curler!)again saved a fortune..

My table easel..bought in lidls years ago,and still as sturdy as when I first bought it.

Cant get the V shaped pillow anywhere..seems to be permanently out of stock.

My ipad...love it. Have used it every day since getting it for my 40th birthday.
My magnetic book mark... Cheap as chips.
Also have a babyliss big hair styler which is very good.

Terribly "girly" I know, but it's got to be my hair straightener - having grown up with thick wavy hair that never looked tidy, it's what I've been waiting for all my life!!

@micmclo - I'll nod at you if we ever pass on the road!

GHD (hair straightener) - without a doubt. The one thing on the desert island :D

The laptop I am using now. Two reasons I head to aam every night after work and have found solid advice on everyday issues and hope I have helped others along the way as well. Second reason I bought this laptop for my wife to encourage her to learn the basics which is something we did every weekend, That was two years ago and now she is teaching me.

Love my caravan - holiday use one !!;) Brilliant family fun, kids adore it, paid for itself in hols already (wasnt that new or expensive).

At a more modest level - got a Lidl cooler box that you plug into car cigarette lighter, very handy yoke.

The coffee machine we bought in South Africa for about ten pounds. It's better than any we've bought before or since.

The ipod my husband gave me years ago, since replaced by various iphones but I'll never forget the freedom of having my favourite music simply "there".

A fold up camping chair, take it anywhere and have a seat.

A clip board. Handy for everything from writing on the move to writing music in the garden.

Back