Yellow oil light on 2008 Passat

niallo34

I have a 2008 Passat which I bought in August of last year with 7k KM on it.

In September it started leaking oil and I brought it to the main dealer where I bought it and apparently the sump nut was damaged on the oil filter - hence the oil leak - they replaced the oil filter.

About a day later the red oil led started flashing on the dashboard so I stopped driving immediatly and called the AA - they popped the bonnet and there was oil everywhere - they garage hadn't secured the cover of the oil filter onto the threads so he oil leaked everywhere.

They fixed the problem, replaced the oil and steam cleaned under the bonnet.

The yellow oil led (as opposed to the red) on the dash is now lit about 7km later - I assume I don't need to replace the oil this soon after an oil change - they probably didn't reset the computer - oil levels are fine in the car

Can I reset the computer myself so I don't have to take time off work to bring it to the garage?

I've seen similar threads where you can reset the service warning indicator..

Thanks..

If the yellow oil light is flashing it indicates a problem with the oil-level sensor, take the car to a garage (not the one where you bought it as they are evidently clueless / careless).

If the yellow oil light is on constantly (not flashing) it indicates a problem with the oil-level, check the oil-level and top-up if necessary. (Leaving the bonnet open for 30 secs clears this indicator; if there is still a problem, the indicator lights again after about 100km). Make sure to close the bonnet properly or your intermittent wash-wipe may not work!

This information (if accurate ;)) is all contained in you user manual BTW.

The manual is probably the first place I should've looked but thought it too obvious!

If the oil level is low can I simply top-up with a diesel compatible oil canister from a petrol canister?

open bonnett
unscrew oil cap, round black thing on top of engine,
pour oil in carefully from canister
replace cap on engine
dip oil and check level
repeat process until level on dipstick is showing max level or full

Back