Yaris v Micra

philipb

If you had 5000 euro (ish) to spend on a second car, would you go for a 99 Yaris or a 01 Micra? (all other things being equal re mileage, condition etc etc)

Yaris is probably the better car but check their respective NCAP ratings for those years. Might be important...

100% Micra.
The wife refuses to drive anything else and she has never had an ounce of trouble.
I can think of two friends off the top of my head who have had minor trouble with Yaris's
Micra will drive forever - ask a mechanic

A Jazz for 5000 ? I doubt it.
Both Yaris and Micra would make fine cars.

I sold toyota's previously and I don't think i ever saw a yaris coming in for anything other that service. The vvt-i engine is extremely economic and the vvt-i has a timing chain instead of belt which is a major maintanence cost. I don't think you'll go wrong with either but I'd go with Yaris.

Sorry Fintan, I think you mis-typed the above, the VVT-i has a chain on the Yaris.

Both are very reliable, but I'd go with Micra its marginally less ugly. But I'm biased as I really don't like the look of the older Yaris at all. We've had a few Micras through the family none of which have needed nothing over the years other the occasional service, oil tyres etc. But I expect the Yaris would be the same. Yaris is probably more expensive in parts and getting it serviced etc. Timing Belt etc as per Fintan ^

It's a timing chain on the yaris. Which you don't have to replace.

The Micra has a chain and you replace them on nearly every Micra, common as muck problem ask any Nissan dealer.

I've owned both a Yaris and the older Micra, and have to say compared to other small cars I owned both were highly reliable, minimal issues as long as you regularly service them.
Of the 2 my personal recommendation is the Yaris, excellent driving position, good room (I'd recommend 5d vs 3d), very good storage in the cabin... In fact in 5 years of driving I never had a days problem and I was doing 80-100 miles per day commuting for most of that period of time. Its very economical to run (i'm assuming you're looking at the 1L).
We currently have 2 x Nissans in the family and I have to say designwise after owning the Yaris they do seem a little staid / boring!

It's a timing chain on the yaris. Which you don't have to replace.

The Micra has a chain and you replace them on nearly every Micra, common as muck problem ask any Nissan dealer.

News to me. Never had to replace a timing chain on any car that had one. Perhaps if you do mega miles or something.

I would go for the Yaris as it is a more reliable car, like already stated nothing ever needs to be fixed on them only cost is a car service. Also Toyota cars in general are good to hold their value when you want to sell them.
As for the Micra a friend of mine purchased a new Micra and it seemed to like breaking down everywhere she went. She took it back to the garage they seemed to fix the problem until another few months after that and something else was wrong with it so she sold it.

My experience of Nissan Dealers is that they were brutal. That said I've yet to experience a good main stealer from any brand.

To experience a main dealer you have to go to them with all youre motoring needs. It all comes down to expecatations.

If you go to a main dealer and get youre routine service done and then when you get a problem with a car you get pushed to the top of the list of breakdowns, a replacement car etc. Then your experience with the dealer is better but hampered by the fact your car has broke down and now is going to cost you money.

The flip side of this is Fred in the shed services your car, then when something goes wrong and he/she cant fix it, they lob you off to the main dealer. And then you give out about your main dealer because your car was last on our list to do.

We take care of our loyal customers and give the best service we can. You forget about the service Fred in the shed gave you, happy to take your money for the easy service, plugs, pads etc but when your car gives you trouble, he/she doesnt want to know about it. Then the Dealer is the bad guy.

Search the different threads on this section and you'll see all the people left high and dry by the "local or friendly mechanic".

Main dealer is not perfect but better than a non dealer.

Ps. Sorry for rant, I'll get off my soap box now.

Search the different threads on this section and you'll see all the people left high and dry by the "local or friendly mechanic".

Main dealer is not perfect but better than a non dealer....

My experience is the exact opposite tbh. That includes cars with full dealer service history. In fairness its usually down to quality of the people you're dealing with. So I'm sure there must be good dealers out there. Theres also threads with all the people not happy with main dealers. ;)

At lot of the problems here are people not following the basic consumer common sense. As you'd expect in a primiary financial forum. Like not getting a proper quote first and agreeing the amount of work to be done etc. A basic contract as it were.

100% Micra.
The wife refuses to drive anything else and she has never had an ounce of trouble.
I can think of two friends off the top of my head who have had minor trouble with Yaris's
Micra will drive forever - ask a mechanic

A mechanic I spoke to recently said that of the Yaris and not the micra.

I think you can have a bad experience with any machine. None of them are perfect. You are just playing the odds when it comes to reliablity. Even the best makes have a couple of hiccups now and then.

Back