XDA 2

• Thread starter Prometheus2
  • Start date
P

Prometheus2

Does anyone have/know someone who has the new o2 XDA2. If so what do you think? How good is it as a phone and how good is it as a PDA.

Also, does anyone know what it costs ??

I've got one but I'll admit I don't use it much as a phone. I also had a V1. I've never used any other PDA's, but as a sell-affirmed techno-slut I'll say that it's a terrific piece of kit. Nice big, high-res screen. The camera's cool too. Noticeably faster, better response time. The bluetooth is handy but I guess most PDA's have all of that. I mainly use it for listening to music, streaming audio (from the web whilst connected to my desktop) and watching films/TV so I'm probably not the best real user.

It's got solitaire :)

The XDA II is the latest handet available but it does have a few drawbacks, Because it is a dual Handset ( data & Voice) you will have to decide which you will primarly use it for as there are different tariffs for both: (i.e.) Cheap data with expensive Calls or Cheap Calls with expensive data.
A friend of mine ran up a Bill of €3,000 in just one month by using it to collect e-mails because he was on a voice tariff..

The second issue I have with it is that you have to connect to collect emails which costs you each time, even though there may not be any emails to collect at that time ( money wasted)..

If you are looking for a PDA with windows CE then either a DELL axim of a compaq Ipaq, ( without any GSM/GPRS)

If you are looking for an orgainiser/ phone and email then i would really recommend Blackberry, because it used PUSH technology , this means that it will push any email to the device when it arrives on the server and you do not have to go looking for them, you can then reply to that email instantly. Best of all o2 offer a flat rate of €20 per month with unlimited email downloads etc... you can even browse the web on this unit..

I hope this helps

Thanks for your help ThomasJ. You seem to know a bit about PDA's so maybe you can help me. The main reason why I want a PDA is to store various results on the go. These results will include numbers, text and tables and graphs. Do you know if there is a PDA available which will suit my needs ??

No Probs,

If the files that you need are either excel, word of pdf then you can receive these on the go woth the latest blackberry 7 series , I used to have all the toys.... ipaq... XDA and XDA II but i dumped them all for the Blackberry.

I can now send/ receive/ edit the above formats from the comfort of the POOL :)

Let me know if you need further assistance..

Have used XDA 2 for over a year and find it wonderful. New XDA lli will soon be released by 02 so you may wish to wait for that. It allows full web browsing, which I think Blackberry doesn't, and if you opt for a fixed data tarrif then you won't run into enormous bills. However, having mobile web and access to webmail and msn etc does cost more than an ordinary phone so be prepared. Ability to open word documents etc is also great and it is a wonderful diary, contact book etc. Only downside is you cannot switch it off and you daren't let battery run out for fear of losing all your data. But storage cards help and you learn to keep the batter topped. I would recommend it but wait for XDA lli as it offers more memory and longer battery life.

Has anybody got any further info on the XDA2i? I'd like to use it for email and web mainly. I'd also like to use it in the UK with a UK sim card. I've been offered a second hand one for 350euro from a friend. Does this sound like a good idea? He has gotten it unblocked from O2, so it can be used with any sim card.

Hi,

I have the blackberry and for e-mail it is brilliant. For €20 per month I get all my mails pushed from the company server direct to the handheld. I can also add up to another 9 e-mail accounts to have automatically pushed to handheld if required.
It works as a phone also, but it seem that any time I make a call on it the person on the other end dose not hear me very well.
Can open word and excel attachments also. However it is difficult at best to make any sense of a spreadsheet on the small handheld screen. I believe that the concept of reading and editing a spreadsheet on any PDA type device must be difficult at best considering screen size. Works great on word documents though.

Back