X windows viewer

car

Probably a long shot but does anyone know of a freeware app that will let me run unix X-windows on a microsoft client, along the lines of exceed or reflections-X. Ive been playing around with cygwin but cant get it to run, google aint shown me the light on this one.
We have a licensed version of reflections X but I cant get it installed on a particular client for various reasons.

Probably a long shot but does anyone know of a freeware app that will let me run unix X-windows on a microsoft client, along the lines of exceed or reflections-X. Ive been playing around with cygwin but cant get it to run, google aint shown me the light on this one.
We have a licensed version of reflections X but I cant get it installed on a particular client for various reasons.

have you tried hummingbird

Yeah, but thats not freeware. Unless you have a link to a version that is? (he asked hopefully)
Ive got hummingbirds exceed on my client but it came with my office OS build. A colleague is looking for an X-windows client and its not on his OS build and we're out of the office.

anytime I'm looking for a utility program, I start with [broken link removed]

I use Xming myself, it's released under a GPL Licence

Sourceforge said:
Xming is a Free Software port of the X Window Server to Microsoft Windows. It shares the same source code base as Cygwin/X but does not depend on Cygwin or use cygwin1.dll. Xming is a fully featured X Window Server that is very simple to install and use.

Just to clarify I dont want to run X-windows with the MS windows OS being the server, Im connecting to connect to a Tru64 Unix box and trying to emulate a GUI thats running on the Unix box.

update.. Spock, just got it to work with xming and interfacing through putty. Need to download the correct fonts now but the emulation is working. many thanks.

Clubman, I am using the Cygwin-x version, I was just pecking away at it trying to get it to work over a couple of days but it wasnt proving straightforward, all the forewords say its not for the fainthearted so I probably need to go into the docs a bit more but as above, working now may leave for another day.

Back