Wrongly overpaid

F

flatfart

A colleague of mine has just been informed that he has been overpaid for a number of years and his employer is now looking for €9,000 or more back from him. As his Union subscription, tax, PRSI was based on this wrong income, can he claim back some of the tax and PRSI payments his employer made on his behalf and in regard to the Union subscriptions, is it up to him or his employer to look for the oversubscribed payments ?

His employer should be only looking for the net back. the employer can then amend the paye returns made and claim the tax back in that way.

I don't agree.

First IMHO, there must be agreement that overpayment has taken place, then there must be agreement on the amount of any refund and the terms of same.

I suggest the union take charge of negotiations and earn their corn as they will have access to data on precendent and negotiation.

If the overpayments span a period in excess of four years then the tax-office may refuse refunds so the employer may be at a total loss for those years.

Correct. But the individual only ever recieved the net if the employer overpaid the revenue that is for the employer to fix not the employee .

Back