Wrongfully detained by Garda & Summons Received

Status
Not open for further replies.

CashAdv

Hi,

One evening I went for a walk for some fresh air (genuine here as I had/have a lot on my mind in relation to family law and personal issues).

I stopped on the footpath of an empty street to light a cigarette. A Garda car approached me and two female Garda approached me and asked me my name.
I responded in a polite manner "Why do you ask?" and before I know it I was cuffed and taken to the station.

I was searched, and it was claimed that I was drunk and disorderly. I was neither drunk nor disorderly in my opinion. (I had been to the pub and had 3 or possibly 4 pints of larger at most - a local taxi can confirm that I was sober as a judge when I was dropped of around 10PM that evening. In fact as I had only intended to go out for a brief drink I had the taxi stop at the local off license just before 10PM and I bought some beers for later that evening when I returned. I left the beer in the taxi as I explained that I would be returning soon and would use the same cab).

It was around 11:30/11:45 ish that evening when I was detained.

I co-operated fully with the Garda, and even while cuffed in the back of the car I explained my situation and gave my full name and address and apologised for any misunderstanding)

I was never formally arrested but kept in the cells until around 4:30 am. I was the only person detained in the station that night. I tried to explain my situation and be as reasonable as possible with the "member-in-charge".

I never received my "notification of detention". I was asked some questions if I wanted a solicitor, etc. I replied yes and also yes to have a member of the embassy informed. (I hold British Citizenship as from N.I.) I was told my solicitor was not answering the phone and I requested a duty solicitor. I was told none was available. I was told the British Embassy was unavailable also.

I was not violent, or abusive, in fact quite the opposite. I was informed that I was being held for being intoxicated or drunk in a public place. It was clear that I was not drunk. I requested to have breath, blood, urine sample taken but this was declined.

When put in the cell I was not disorderly but did find a previous person had left a copy of detention notice and rights. I repeatedly knocked the door and requested to speak to the "member in charge". I was never cautioned or fingerprinted, or interviewed (formally), etc. I was searched I tried to ask why but at this stage I just complied. I did not have anything in my possession that I shouldn't have had

Eight times I asked for samples or tests for alcohol intoxication. I repeatedly requested for medical attention as it was mentioned on the sheet I found in the cell that I was entitled to it if requested. I was told none was available. I requested a glass of water, none was given, nor food, nor anything to wash my hands after using the horrid hole in the floor toilet.

On numerous occasions I tried to reason with the member in charge and explained that I was clearly not drunk and there was a misunderstanding of some kind. It was no use. I requested documentation to be given to me about the reasons for my detention. Was I under arrest? If so what for?

I did get a bit stubborn at times claimed that I was being held illegally as I had not been arrested, etc. I also handed him my belt which he had forgotten to remove.

I was refused to go out for a cigarette as "member in charge" claimed to be on his own and it wasn't possible. (I could clearly hear others present).

I did not sleep, as the place was filthy and I wanted to be released as there was clearly a mistake.

At 4:30 am ish I was allowed to leave, and I collected my belongings in a brown paper bag. No paperwork was given to me. The two female Garda that cuffed me were just finishing their shift and heading out the door.

I inquired in a gentle and genuine tone along the lines of "what was all that about? It was clear that I wasn't drunk. I'm sorry if I came across as being cheeky, but I didn't refuse to give my name. I wasn't causing any trouble, why did they detain me?"

I stated that it was over the top to hold me like that, and that I'm good humoured and would have accepted a "slap on the wrists" for questioning authority, (by asking the reason they wanted my details) etc. but felt that was over the top and would to take it further.

In my opinion it was clear they knew they had wrongfully detained me and not followed procedure properly. I tried to make sense of things and tried to understand their reasons for doing what they did.

I jokingly suggested they overlook my next speeding ticket, etc (I now realise this wasn't exactly a smart idea but at the time I was trying to diffuse any tensions, etc).

I left the station at the same time as the two Garda and asked them did they not have any paperwork prepared? There was none. I spoke with them on the way out and said "you know that was way out of order and I could take things further but would rather forget it, and I asked what was the problem?"

They told me to "F***K OFF" as they sped off from the station. I asked for their details and they repeated the F Off remark.

I couldn't believe what I heard. I always had utmost respect for Garda or any police force, etc. I was gobsmacked as I sat outside the station and after hearing those comments I returned and spoke politely to the new chap behind the counter, and tried to get a reason for my detention. "I've only started my shift, I know nothing about anything" was his response.

Even when I asked for the details of the Garda that detained me. Still gobsmacked I enquired further and demanded to have a "charge sheet" or similar. I was given a standard notice of detention, same as I found in the cell and after I insisted the Garda wrote on the top "arrested for_____")

I was "directed" off the premises so complied immediately.

Anyway I never took matters any further but had thought of contacting the garda ombudsman. But low an behold nearly 2 months later I got a summons or 3 through the post. I couldn't believe it.

All public order, etc

1 was withholding name
1 was intoxicated in public
other was intoxicated and being a danger to self or others.

Clearly not guilty except possibly not instantly giving my name.
What should I do about this.
Complain, fight it (judge is bound to believe Garda).

I have lost much respect for the Garda as a result, but I realise my experience doesn't reflect the complete force..

Question is what do I do about the summons??

Something in your post puzzles me. Did you leave home in a taxi at 10 pm and go to an off licence for the beer en route to the pub? And did you leave the beer in the taxi while you were at the pub for 3 or 4 pints?

Something in your post puzzles me. Did you leave home in a taxi at 10 pm and go to an off licence for the beer en route to the pub? And did you leave the beer in the taxi while you were at the pub for 3 or 4 pints?

Yeah that's right, maybe a bit odd but car is off the road and was too lazy to walk down, also was near 10 o'clock so grabbed taxi.
I know the driver.

+1. Not right and these are 'front line public servants'. I'm one of the frontliners but these girls are the type of people who need to be let go and quickly. There is no place for that type of behaviour although I'd say there are a few that could be guilty of it.

I know, but what should I do? Am I guilty of not giving my name right away?

There are 2 sides to every story..

Just to play devils advocate:

A Garda car approached me and two female Garda approached me and asked me my name.
I responded in a polite manner "Why do you ask?" and before I know it I was cuffed and taken to the station.

You didn't give your name.

I was searched, and it was claimed that I was drunk and disorderly. I was neither drunk nor disorderly in my opinion. (I had been to the pub and had 3 or possibly 4 pints of larger at most - a local taxi can confirm that I was sober as a judge when I was dropped of around 10PM that evening. In fact as I had only intended to go out for a brief drink I had the taxi stop at the local off license just before 10PM and I bought some beers for later that evening when I returned. I left the beer in the taxi as I explained that I would be returning soon and would use the same cab).

You're not sure how much you had to drink.

...and even while cuffed in the back of the car I explained my situation and gave my full name and address and apologiaed for any misunderstanding)

You only gave your name when cuffed in the back of a car.

I repeatedly requested for medical attention as it was mentioned on the sheet I found in the cell that I was entitled to it if requested. I was told none was available.

You vexatiously asked for medical attention.

I did get a bit stubborn at times claimed that I was being held illegally as I had not been arrested

You became beligerent.

I was refused to go out for a cigarette as "member in charge" claimed to be on his own and it wasn't possible. (I could clearly hear others present).

You were making unreasonable requests.

I stated that it was over the top to hold me like that, and that I'm good humored and would have accepted a "slap on the wrists" for questioning authority, (by asking the reason they wanted my details) etc. but felt that was over the top and would to take it further.

You were still being beligerent.

I jokingly suggested they overlook my next speeding ticket, etc (I now realise this wasn't exactly a smart idea but at the time I was trying to diffuse any tensions, etc).

They told me to "F***K OFF" as they sped off from the station. I asked for their details and they repeated the F Off remark.

Outrageous behaviour here. Report it to GSOC.

Anyway I never took matters any further but had thought of contacting the garda ombudsman.

You never made any complaints about your treatment after the fact.

I'm not necessarily saying I agree with all the opposing view but it is important to consider that there is an opposing view. If you take things further these are more than likely the questions you will have to answer.

Yeah that's right, maybe a bit odd but car is off the road and was too lazy to walk down, also was near 10 o'clock so grabbed taxi.
I know the driver.

If you don't mind I'd like to continue the questioning, hey pretend I'm a judge.
What do you mean by your car is off the road? Is it correct to say the pub is within walking distance but you got a taxi who was passing by and you happened to know that particular taxi driver who droped you first to the off licence and then the pub?

Another question in relation to the arrest. You went to the pub at 10 and then you left the pub at 11.30/11.45 to go for a walk, for some fresh air and to smoke a cigarette? How were you going to get the same taxi driver home?

Let's look at it from the judge's point of view:

I responded in a polite manner "Why do you ask?"

(I had been to the pub and had 3 or possibly 4 pints of larger at most - a local taxi can confirm that I was sober as a judge when I was dropped of around 10PM that evening.

I replied yes and also yes to have a member of the embassy informed. (I hold British Citizenship as from N.I.)

I repeatedly knocked the door and requested to speak to the "member in charge".

Eight times I asked for samples or tests for alcohol intoxication. I repeatedly requested for medical attention as it was mentioned on the sheet I found in the cell that I was entitled to it if requested.

On numerous occasions I tried to reason with the member in charge and explained that I was clearly not drunk and there was a misunderstanding of some kind.

I did get a bit stubborn at times claimed that I was being held illegally as I had not been arrested, etc.

I spoke with them on the way out and said "you know that was way out of order and I could take things further but would rather forget it, and I asked what was the problem?"

You had four pints but were as sober as a judge! (Not a line you should use when arguing your case)
They asked you your name and you asked why.

You made the first mistake.
You should simply have given your name when asked.
They may have overreacted , but your attitude after that compounded their belief that you were drunk.

Get a solicitor's advice, but I would imagine that you will be advised to apologise to the gardai and the court for wasting their time.

Yes Judge,

My car is parked in my driveway and I not in use when the incident occurred. I notified the motor tax office and they can confirm this.

Yes Judge it would be approx 15 mins walk to the pub. And yes, he took me to the off license first and dropped me on the main street outside the pub.

Well Judge (I'm not sure it was an actual arrest) I did leave the public house for a short walk to take in some air and smoke a cigarette. I knew said taxi driver would be on that evening because I had asked him on the way down less than 2 hrs before leaving the pub. He had my beer in his boot, so you can be damn sure I'd get him. (number in mobile)

Any further questions?
Sorry judge, perhaps I didn't explain myself properly. I did not get a "passing taxi". I called one from my phone to collect me from the house. (taxi driver can verify)

Yes I know the taxi driver, he is the owner of the company.

There are 2 sides to every story..

Just to play devils advocate:

OK, I'll try to answer honestly

You didn't give your name.

Not immediately NO I ADMIT THIS, I asked the question why I was being asked. IMO I was polite and not being an obnoxious gobsh1te, etc. But at the first opportunity (while being chucked into the back of the car, really it happened very quickly) I repeatedly gave all my details and I apologized with large slices of humble pie on offer.

You're not sure how much you had to drink.

(Is this a legal requirement? just kidding)

I had approx 3 or 4 pints, wasn't counting. Say it was four!

(1 hr: 45 mins say 26 1/2 mins per pint? sounds about right for a leisurely unwind, I wasn't on a session, etc. Plus I had no water in the cell and I only ****ed once so it might have been 3 pints.....)

You only gave your name when cuffed in the back of a car.

Correct, as I stated after I asked the question why, I was in the back of the car in the blink of an eye.

You vexatiously asked for medical attention.
I believe I was entitled to it and wanted to prove that I was not intoxicated.
A doctor could have taken blood alcohol readings and/or given a professional opinion.

You became beligerent.

I believed I had a right to ask why I was being detained. I asked in an assertive manner, not an aggressive one.

You were making unreasonable requests.
I asked for a cigarette break - agreed

Water and food are human rights surely? Particularly a glass of water I requested on a number of occasions.

I merely wanted to determine what the problem was and was prepare to let it go if it was a genuine mistake. Or if it was a "teach this guy a lesson" I would have still let it go because<without prejudice> I have been in a drunken state on more than once and staggering home with no problem from Garda so I would have taken it on the chin I suppose.

No I was being an idiot, I could have been done for trying to bribe a garda?

Outrageous behaviour here. Report it to GSOC.
Agreed, I was appalled what is GSOC. This really shocked me to the core, to have two Garda telling me to F* Off. Yes it was upsetting and disappointing.

You never made any complaints about your treatment after the fact.

Correct, I decided to let it go. I was probably guilty of not giving my name right away. And perhaps there were other occasions when I was guilty of being intoxicated in a public place.
As I mention I had other things on my mind, including a family law case and could do without any other "legals" going on. It was my opinion that I would not hear from the Garda and I didn't wish to rock the boat by making a complaint against them with no witnesses. Chalked it up to bad luck.

I'm not necessarily saying I agree with all the opposing view but it is important to consider that there is an opposing view. If you take things further these are more than likely the questions you will have to answer.

What is your opinion after I have answered your questions?

The taxi story sounds strange to me - I can't imagine leaving any possessions in a taxi. Maybe things are different in small-town Ireland.

You would be in a much stronger position if you had complained to the Garda Ombudsman straight away. If you decide to make a complaint now, it will be seen as being in response to the charges.

CashAdv, why do you, yourself think the guards arrested you?

Well I don't know if was "arrested" but town was quiet, empty street.
Single guy on his own late at night on the side of the road.

"he must be up to no good or drunk?? and sure it's a quiet nite??"

Perhaps my daring to question their reasons was enough to cause them upset

( I honestly thought I was allowed to ask this, but I believe this is not the case. However ignorance is no defence.

About the only night I was that sober :-(
)

The taxi story sounds strange to me - I can't imagine leaving any possessions in a taxi. Maybe things are different in small-town Ireland.

You would be in a much stronger position if you had complained to the Garda Ombudsman straight away. If you decide to make a complaint now, it will be seen as being in response to the charges.

A localish town, I know the taxi driver well. I got my beer the next day from him.

Not sure what to do now,I know should I have complained at the time but was prepared to let it go.
Worst thing is I have family law case and could well do without this. I have never had anything like a summons, etc. 1 speeding ticket and 2 parking tickets total....

Perhaps my daring to question their reasons was enough to cause them upset

I honestly thought I was allowed to ask this, but I believe this is not the case. However ignorance is no defence.
)

It wasnt the greatest idea!

[broken link removed]

2. Request for name & address
If a Garda believes that you have committed an offence under the Public Order Act, he or she can ask for your name and address. If you refuse to give your name and address or give one that the Garda thinks is false or misleading, the Garda can arrest you without a warrant. The failure to give your name and address or to give a false or misleading one is an offence in itself.

Hi

Sounds disgaceful.

You shouldn't have been arrested for asking one clarifying question before being arrested. Certain questions would be allowable I'm sure, such as asking to be addessed in Irish, or perhaps to see ID off a non-uniformed Garda. Your question sounds fair enough too, and it may be the case that the Garda have to inform you that not giving your name is an offence before they ask the question again and only then can they arrest you for not giving the name.

What were you arrested for? It said 'arrested for ____'.. is that blank? If so I'd be taking that further.

No doctor provided... possibly disgaceful. If the system is that doctors are available upon request then your rights were trampled upon. The guards should not be making medical judgements about the presence or severity of medical problems. If the system is that all requests for doctors must be complied with then that's the system... and the Guards ignored it.

Embassy unavailable... not credible. I'd ask the Guards to explain what efforts were made to contact the Embassy. (It depends.. if unavailable means not contactable then that's not believable.. if it means 'no person to come over' then that's not too bad)

No water is a small problem, no food isn't a problem unless significant time passed. You may be allowed smoke in the cells but perhaps not, or maybe the smokes were confisicated from you... can't really complain about that. No showers or hand washing isn't a problem unless you want to take a case to Europe about this,... but with the mediavel conditions in Mountjoy you don't have any hope of redress in Ireland.

Now that you've been charged I'd immediately contact the station chief and talk it though with him.

Well a good rule of thumb is to always remember that the guards are your enemy. They are 'working' for the state.

I would always believe the word of anyone else over that of a guard, and hope that you do fight this. Unfortunately, the odds are against you in Ireland.

This might also be of use:
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/arrests/

Print out relevant sections and keep them with you at all times.

It wasnt the greatest idea!

[broken link removed]

2. Request for name & address
If a Garda believes that you have committed an offence under the Public Order Act, he or she can ask for your name and address. If you refuse to give your name and address or give one that the Garda thinks is false or misleading, the Garda can arrest you without a warrant. The failure to give your name and address or to give a false or misleading one is an offence in itself.
In fairness, he didn't refuse to give his name and address. Asking for a reason does not equal refusal.

I believe I was entitled to it and wanted to prove that I was not intoxicated.

You are indeed lucky that they did not call a doctor. If you had 4 pints, this would have shown that you were intoxicated.

Asking to see someone from the embassy when you are from Northern Ireland would be construed by any decent judge as being difficult and wasting police time.

If you were being arrested for murder, that would be different.

Brendan

Asking to see someone from the embassy when you are from Northern Ireland would be construed by any decent judge as being difficult and wasting police time.

If you were being arrested for murder, that would be different.
If I was being detained for no apparent reason by a hostile police force, I too would want to see someone from my country's embassy.
The description of what happened sounds like a gross abuse of police powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back