Wrong tax code and wrong p60 what do I do???

Gemma_walsh

Hello all!
I'm posting this on behalf of my husband.
He worked for a company for 6years and left to join a rival company. After completing his training he didn't like the company so left, we decided to take some time out of work for 4 months (didn't claim any benefits, job seekers etc just lived off some personal savings) then rejoined the original company. Since rejoining, his tax has been an absolute mess! For the last few months he has been on a k91 tax code meaning approx 40% of his wages are going to tax, he has rung the tax office on 4 separate occasions and they have his estimated earnings for the year at £108k which is nearly 3 times as much!! Now his p60 has arrived and says he has only earnt £3600 last year, (we estimate his earnings for last year to be 30k max) We are completely confused and the tax office are as much help as a chocolate tea pot when we ring up!
Every month is becoming a struggle now as our childcare bill for both children comes to more than he is taking home so living off my little salary is very stressful! Anyone have any ideas of the next step forward?
How can I correct a p60 which is wrong? I have seen these companies that hell if you having problems with the tax man? Anyone had any experience using one of these?
Thanks in advance :)

Hi, this is an Irish site, not an English one - and while you may find some pertinent advice here, most of the advice would be within an Irish context.

I do think you do need to find a UK advisor/accountant - one on your local High Street should help. I'm also aware that HMRC have cut back on walk-in clinics but perhaps there maybe one open relatively near to your friend. Tell hiom mt o brign as muc as he can with him to the accountant/advisor/HMRC.

As you've just entered your new tax year, post-April 6th, you should try get this sorted asap.

Back