Wrong district listed on fine notice

R

Ronanfox

Hi all,

5 weeks ago, I was stopped by a motorbike garda cos I was on the phone whilst driving. My excuse that I was checking in with my wife to see if all was ok with our 2 week old newborn fell on deaf ears and he told me that I'd recieve a notice of a fine within 3 weeks. I did recieve said notice, but 4 weeks later and not 3, and it listed the location as D24 whereas it was actually in D12. Can I contest the fine based on the delay in my recieving it and also based on (the probable typo) district mistake? Thanks in advance. Ronan.

Hi Ronanfox and welcome to AAM.

Yes you can contest the fine but I would strongly suspect you would not be successful, based on the information you have given and therefore end up with double the points.

You can contest any fine you get in the post even if the details are correct. Im sure they will check and then re-issue one with the correct details or leave it go to court.

The reason for using the phone should have no bearing on the fact that you should be fined for the crime. I don't see why ringing your wife is a OK reason to leave you off??

Do you know that you are just as likely to be in an accident talking on a phone as being over the legal drink driving limit?

Is it not time to man up and pay for your crime ?

There is one situation where a driver is allowed by law to use their phone by holding it and while driving - Emergancies dialling 999

Thanks for the answers guys. A cheque for the fine has been issued. Ronan C...there is another situation where you can use a phone whilst driving; if youre a Garda and you can do what you want. And Joeysully...well...I'm not sure what I should say to your post without insulting you. So all I'll say is that if you want to life a life in black and white, fair enough. But I prefer a bit of flexibility and common sense in mine. Crawling in traffic and taking a call about your new born child may be a crime on paper.....

there is another situation

No, the law is very clear. Only one situation. The same law applies to members of An Garda Siochana. They should only use their mobile phones in an emergency - [broken link removed] (Page 19)

Congrats to you and your wife on your newborn

Crawling in traffic and taking a call about your new born child may be a crime on paper.....

As a cyclist, I can't agree with that. I regularly see people crawling in traffic on their phone who don't realise they're drifting left or right and coming very close to me. If the call is important, please pull over.

Thanks for the answers guys. A cheque for the fine has been issued. Ronan C...there is another situation where you can use a phone whilst driving; if youre a Garda and you can do what you want. And Joeysully...well...I'm not sure what I should say to your post without insulting you. So all I'll say is that if you want to life a life in black and white, fair enough. But I prefer a bit of flexibility and common sense in mine. Crawling in traffic and taking a call about your new born child may be a crime on paper.....

ohh Insult away :) im thick skinned. I was just stating facts. The number of people on there phones while driving has gone overboard.

Every second one is at it these days and its one of my pet hates. Its not fair on other drivers wither it be in slow traffic or full speed on the motorway. "Simple" hands free kits can be purchased cheaply these days with no wiring required. There are no excuses TBH. Its unsafe and Illegal so I don't see the need for you to be insulting towards anyone who is just stating facts... ;)

The reason for using the phone should have no bearing on the fact that you should be fined for the crime. I don't see why ringing your wife is a OK reason to leave you off??

Do you know that you are just as likely to be in an accident talking on a phone as being over the legal drink driving limit?

Is it not time to man up and pay for your crime ?

Good to see the moral police are still alive and kicking.....

BTW using a phone while driving is not a crime, but rather an offense under the Road Traffic Act 2006.

Just thought you were a bit harsh branding the OP a criminal, whilst you were reprimanding him.

Back