Wrong amount debited to my account

focus

Hi.

Last week I instructed my bank in Dubai to send 55000 Diram (10578 euro) to my AIB account in Ireland. I checked my account on Monday and 54,890euro had been deposited to my account I couldn't believe this who had been so generous to me.
Unfortunately Aib phoned me this morning to come in and sign a form to debit the 54K from my account.

Anyone had a similar situation.

There are several existing threads about such incidents here on AAM which you should be able to find by searching/browsing.

Any chance the bank could send a representative to your house so you can sign?:D

Which bank made the error....Dubai or Ireland?
How much came out of your Dubai account?

My wife had some landlord's rent transferred into her current a/c every 2 months for 6 months a few years ago.
The bank/landlord twigged the mistake and agreed to remove it from the a/c in the same installments (3 * 2 months). She didn't have it spent or anything, thats just the way they suggested to do it.

10,587 came out of my acount in Dubai and I got 54,890 into my account in Ireland. They phoned me again today to see when was I coming in to sign the money back to them. I think I will leave them sweat it out for a day or two.

10,587 came out of my acount in Dubai and I got 54,890 into my account in Ireland. They phoned me again today to see when was I coming in to sign the money back to them. I think I will leave them sweat it out for a day or two.

They won't be sweating - they know it's not your money, you know it's not your money and legally they are entitled to get their money back - there is considerable legal precendent on this.

... They phoned me again today to see when was I coming in to sign the money back to them. ...
Set up a call centre thingy on your phone - "Thank you for calling focus, inc. Your call is important me (ha, ha, ha). Please dial 1 to hang up, 2 to disconnect, 3 to have me ignore you or 4 to simply waste more of your time listening to my stupid hold music."

Last week I instructed my bank in Dubai to send 55000 Diram (10578 euro) to my AIB account in Ireland. I checked my account on Monday and 54,890euro had been deposited to my account I couldn't believe this who had been so generous to me.
Unfortunately Aib phoned me this morning to come in and sign a form to debit the 54K from my account.
What about the other €890? And what about the original €10,578 that you were trying to transfer?

Obviously you will have to give the money back but why should you give up your time to go down to the bank to remedy their mistake. Tell them to send a representative to your home, job or local pub with the relevant forms at a time that suits you.

I will be in no rush to call to them.
Just curious ... would you take the same approach if you made an error which resulted in your own money going to the wrong account or into the banking ether for a while or would you be happy if the bank(s) involved did?

Back