Writing number correct to 2 decimal places

Becca

A question states, "write 12.826 correct to 2 decimal places."

Should this be written as 12.82 or 12.83 ?

The second answer rounds up because of the number 6, though the question does not state to "round up/down" just to "write correct". So I was just wondering...

I'd round it up.

When correcting to 2 decimal places, round up if the 3rd digit is 5 or greater and round down if the 3rd digit is less than 5.

That's what I remember from school anyway!

if the third digit after the decimal point is 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9, you round the second digit up (by one), if the third digit behind the decimal point is 0,1,2,3 or 4, you leave the second digit as is.

pjmn

12.82 - you are not asked to round up or down in the question but to write the number "correct to 2 decimal places" which is 12.82.

I agree with mathepac's point, but I think it's probably more likely that the intention of the question was to round the number, so in that case, 12.83.

Depends on the source of the question I suppose as to whether or not it is likely to be a 'trick question' which arguably it would be, if answered literally as in mathepac's response/interpretation.

'correct to' implies round the number. The answer is 12.83

I can still hear Sister Brigid saying 'please round your answer to the highest decimal point'.

Back