Would you spend 1/3 of income on rent

35% used to be max amount on loan repayments including mortgages unless it has changed .

I would say large numbers pay a third of their income, at least, on their rent. I know I do.

When I lived in London, rent was 60-80% of our income. Horrific. Most I've ever paid in Ireland was 40% which was still tight.

I would think a huge number of people in their 20s and 30s pay far more than 33% of their income on rent, especially if they live in Dublin.

A young person in full time employment on half the average full time wage earning €24k.

Even in Dublin they are hardly paying more than one third of that for a house share.

A young person in full time employment on half the average full time wage earning €24k.

Even in Dublin they are hardly paying more than one third of that for a house share.

Unclear if figures being quoted are net or gross...

On €24,000, that would be monthly rent of €666.

Last edited:
On €24,000, that would be monthly rent of €666.
Most people I know who do a house share pay around 600 a month. Slightly off topic in London in the mid 80s my take home pay was 115 a week and my rent for a tiny bedsit with a shared toilet and kitchen was 35. I could not have afforded a one bed apt at that time. Made me realise that the 100 per week and live-in for bar work was not that bad a wage.

Back