Would you rent your house to someone who kept snakes?

LouthLass

Dear all,

Not sure if this is the right forum as it has to do with my UK property hence investment but it is a bit of a strange question and I'm looking for pros and cons.

Basically, I sacked my previous agent and have arranged with the tenant to come and see her this Friday as I will be in Liverpool anyway. She then told me she had snakes (which the letting agent was aware of from day 1 but they never told me - there is a 'no pets' clause in the agreement).

Anyway, long story short, what are the pros and cons of allowing snakes in a rental? Tenant states they are in glass tanks, don't smell and no mess. I like my tenant and would rather not lose her but would appreciate having a bit of knowledge in relation to her pets.

Any snake lovers/haters able to post their own thoughts/experiences?

All opinions appreciated.

Kind regards

LL

What if snakes escape and lay eggs / have babies in the hot-press?

So an exotic dancer as a tenant, cool - what did you say the address was?

What if snakes escape and lay eggs / have babies in the hot-press?

So an exotic dancer as a tenant, cool - what did you say the address was?

I second that, I can just see the movie now...Snakes in a rental property....featuring exotic dancers...i'd pay to see it.:D

I wounldn't worry about it, they don't do much except laz around. As you said, no smell, can't damage anything. If she pays the rent then she's a keeper.

no way would i rent to someone who keeps snakes. Even with the best intentions (of pet owner), the snake could still escape. In warm weather they might head outside, or if it's cold outside they'll probably head for heat... up to the attic, where they could travel through to other houses if in a terrace.

now i know that apparently pet snakes aren't usually venomous but even if it isn't, surely a constrictor could harm a child. i know it would give me heart failure if i saw one anywhere near me.

However, i am totally biased because i have a terrible snake phobia.

A girl I know rented a house and had 2 x elderly snakes (pets - yuk!!). Anyway, she decided to move back home due to the fact she couldn't afford the rent as nobody would share the house with her (I can't imagine why). When she was finished packing and ready for the move, she could only find one snake. After much searching she gave up assuming the snake had gotten out and died!!!. Long story short.....
New tenant moves in and within a few days ends up on the kitchen counter awaiting (and shaking) the Garda with back up not knowing what kind of snake they were dealing with. It was in the local and national papers. Needless to say the girl disappeared for a short time.

I was wondering whether to contribute my story about a friend who rented a house and was frightened near to death when a snake turned up in the kitchen. He was very impressed when I visited and didn't panic; it was obvious to me that the snake was as nervous as he was, and had no means of defence, and I was fairly sure that it was not venomous. The Guards did turn up with a pair of tongs and a stout paper sack.

I think it is the other side of MaryBM's story.

Are you considering ending a tenancy midterm because of the snakes? I'm not sure you can legally do that. Though the agreement states no pets, if the agent knew and allowed the tenant to move in with the snakes anyway, I think the clause is null and void. Your sacking of the agent has nothing to do with the tenant and her lease.

Jaybird,

I'm not considering at all ending the tenancy agreement - was just pointing out another reason why the agent had to go!! I have no problem with the tenant, rent is paid on time and she seems happy to stay for a long time but I would rather be informed as to the pros and cons of keeping such a pet - a little knowledge can not be a bad thing.

Regards

LL

I think in UK there is a rule around what snakes you can keep at home. There are restrictions. For example you can't just have a bengal tiger in your backyard. For bloody good reasons. Perhaps find out what kind of snakes they are.

I'd get rid of the nutter straight away for breach of contract. Don't care if the agent knew. Isn't there a notice clause?

Snakes are not really a problem, they are clean and do not smell and if they are in a proper vivarium then escape is not really an issue. Even if they escape pet snakes are predictable and will head for heat so normaly its ontop of the DVD player or hot press and the owner will know the habits of their own snakes.

I have had snakes for years and I rent property, I have always shown the landlord the setup and the behaviour of them and they soon come around.

I would finish with saying that snakes are the perfect pets, they only mess once every 6 to 12 weeks. Most the time they are inactive especially after a feed and they are quiet!

In the current climate, if the tenant is paying on time and not wrecking the place, I wouldn't worry about a few snakes. I wouldn't like the idea of having them in my own house, but the thing you have to remember about rental property is just that -- you don't have to live in the house, it's just business.

Snakes are fed dead mice that are actually purchased from the pet shop.

I have lodger who keeps a snake, a big spider of some sort, a small lizard etc etc. No problems so far!

We have a tenant who has a snake (python). We checked out what type it was and it was non-venomous. We further checked with the managing agent if the snake would be allowed. We checked what the snake would be fed and we were told that it was not fed live mice but rather was given frozen meat (thawed obv).

We have not had any issues in the 6 months to date.

Didn't a pet snake go missing in North Dublin a few weeks back read it in the newspapers not sure they ever found it. St. Patrick would have been in his element.

I'm not in favour of anyone keeping snakes in a confined cage as they always look way to big for it. They are lazy as another poster pointed out because they have nowhere to move, bet they wouldn't be that lazy in the wild.

On a bighter note you won't have any rodents in the house if the snake was allowed out for a 'walk'.

Hi all,

Just got back from the UK and took the opportunity to pop round. Turns out they have 16 snakes and 2 lizards in the house!!! In fact, the day I turned up, they had 20 babies hatching from eggs which they have managed to sell. Asked about the breeds etc and none of them are prohibited under UK law. Anyway, from speaking to them and inspecting the property there is no smell, the snakes are well kept (the husband has had some of them for over 9 years and obviously knows the animals and keeps them very well) and they are fed on dead mice/rats obtained from local pet shops.

My only concern would be that when I try to sell the house in maybe a year or two that potential buyers may be put off as they have completely taken over the back room, it seems very much smaller than it actually is due to the number of glass cages in it. Apart from that, the house was clean and maintained, the tenants seem to be a lovely couple who pay their rent on time and appear to like the house.

I'm actually quite glad to have them and it also goes to show that I was right in sacking the UK agent as they knew from day 1 the number of snakes but to this day they have yet to tell me that the tenants have these unusual pets!!

Many thanks for all responses though, much appreciated.

Kind regards

LL

Hi all,

Just got back from the UK and took the opportunity to pop round. Turns out they have 16 snakes and 2 lizards in the house!!! In fact, the day I turned up, they had 20 babies hatching from eggs which they have managed to sell. Asked about the breeds etc and none of them are prohibited under UK law. Anyway, from speaking to them and inspecting the property there is no smell, the snakes are well kept (the husband has had some of them for over 9 years and obviously knows the animals and keeps them very well) and they are fed on dead mice/rats obtained from local pet shops.

My only concern would be that when I try to sell the house in maybe a year or two that potential buyers may be put off as they have completely taken over the back room, it seems very much smaller than it actually is due to the number of glass cages in it. Apart from that, the house was clean and maintained, the tenants seem to be a lovely couple who pay their rent on time and appear to like the house.

I'm actually quite glad to have them and it also goes to show that I was right in sacking the UK agent as they knew from day 1 the number of snakes but to this day they have yet to tell me that the tenants have these unusual pets!!

Many thanks for all responses though, much appreciated.

Kind regards

LL

when the time comes to sell just do it with vacant possession and it won't be a problem

the tenants seem to be a lovely couple who pay their rent on time and appear to like the house.

LL

Of course if they are very happy in the property you would expect non reptile owning tenants would also be. No? Do you think they're such good tenants because most owners wouldn't rent to them?

... they have 16 snakes and 2 lizards in the house!!! In fact, the day I turned up, they had 20 babies hatching from eggs which they have managed to sell...
God Bless us and save us, I hope St Patrick isn't reading this or he'll be turning in his grave, God between us and all harm.

Back