would you leave your current job under these circumstances

jakearmitage

Currently working in Waterford and earning 30k a year there is a possiblity of going on shift later on in the year and make an extra 7 to 10k a year although going on shift is not for definite as oposed to going for a similar job in dublin earning 35 to 40k basic and definitely getting an exta 33% shift on top of that?I dont have a mortage and im single so there is no issue like that with moving to dublin

Plus and neg points about current job

I dont mind working there the job is not that stressful the people are grand the only negetive is my current salary

Plus and neg about going for job in dublin

The money will be alot better at least 7 to 10k better but theres also the cost of living in dublin to take into account

The job is only a 12 month contract with a good chance of permancy current job is permanent

Dont know what new work environment or people will be like

My advice ...........stay where you are ........especially due to the current climate ...............

If you are not made permanent within 12 months , then you have an opprotunity to think about your position.

At the moment you are been premature , and I suggest you leave a decision for at least 11 months .

If you compare the salaries in Dublin to Nationwide , you might find that there is little difference , when you take into account of your day-to-day living expenses including accomodation , driving to work etc

Make sure you know exactly what going on shift will mean to the change in your lifestyle its not for everyone and some people just can't take it with thre disruption to sleep, lack of routine etc.

Also as you said the extra cost of living (renting) in Dublin is a major factor i'm guessing its significantly higher than in Waterford - check daft to get an idea. also will you have a commute, consider traffic.

Also don't forget if you do leave your current job and start a new one and that company goes belly up you probably won't have as much entitlements to redundancies etc as you will be new in the door.

How long you in your current job?

I wouldn't base my decisions solely around security and whether or not the job is permanent. Like you said you are single and don't have a mortgage.

I would base it more around what direction do you want your life to go in, do you want to stay in Waterford or do you want to experience a new city?
There is no point restricting yourself too much.

I also wouldn't move just because of an increase in salary, Dublin is expensive and will swallow up alot of your extra income.

Don't let the recession scare you, just go with whatever feels right to you.

Would I be better off in dublin with 50k a year as oposed to 30k in waterford

If factors such as commuting cost etc are the same then you'd be better off in Dublin.
You are young and have no mortgage... why not move?
It's better to look back at life and regret the things you have done rather than the things you didn't do.

Being permanent after 6 months means nothing; you don't get any real employment rights before you are there 12 months.
... we pay a 50% shift allowance... no wonder we have no problem getting people to work nights.

Back