Would You Go To See The Pope in Ireland?

Lex Foutish

Did anyone hear that guy on with Matt Cooper this evening? The guy who was claiming that contraception was a marriage wrecker etc. Absolutely hilarious! Some listeners thought we were witnessing the return of Fr. Wishy Washy. :D

Listening to the discussion and references to the Pope's recent utterances about the use of condoms in Africa and recent speculation of a Papal visit to Ireland, got me thinking.

Would AAM members go to see him if he came to Ireland? I went to see John Paul 11 when he came - when this was a different country and we were a little more naive than we are today. I couldn't see myself going to see the present incumbent even if he was appearing in The Marquee in Cork.

Are he and his attitudes and teachings relevant in a modern world?

Not a rant. I'm genuinely interested in hearing people's views on the subject.

Well I wasn't born when JP2 came to town. Dunno if I could be bothered to be honest, would I get the day off work?

To paraphrase Bill Shankly.....If he was at the bttom of the garden, I'd draw the curtains.

I reckon if he does come, it'll be a pathetic crowd that go to see him compared to JP2s visit.

Why would I? I have'nt gone to see George Hook and, even with his accent, he's easier on the eye :D

I would not go and would object to the costs to the state of such a visit in these times. Benedict XVI is even more out of touch now than he was as Cardinal Ratzinger ie totally!!

It depends on what show he was in.

There's a band here in Cork called Pontius Pilate and the Nail Drivers. Maybe them as a warm up act for an open air concert in Páirc Uí Chaoimh? :D

Plan B might be a gig in the Opera House. Years ago, when The Last Temptation of Christ was being shown in Cork, there was a protest by a local group called "The Keepers of the Third Secret of Fatima." :rolleyes:

I'm sure they'd still be well able to get a crowd going and be a good warm up act. :D

I found it interesting in Rome a week or so a go, when we went to the Vatican, the majority of souveniers for sale in the shops was JP 2 and not Benny. Have to say he doesn't do it for me. I still think he'd get a big crowd, plenty of people still going to mass in ireland and he is the pope, but nowhere near the crowds the last time JP2 was here

Plan B might be a gig in the Opera House. Years ago, when The Last Temptation of Christ was being shown in Cork, there was a protest by a local group called "The Keepers of the Third Secret of Fatima." :rolleyes:

I'm sure they'd still be well able to get a crowd going and be a good warm up act. :D
How can you keep a secret if you don't know what the secret is? :confused:

No way would I go to see any Pope. But remember the crowds that went to see the relics of St Therese. I thought that was completely bizarre too.

Back