Would you buy a second hand washing machine?

Hurling Fan

Hi All

Just wondering what are people's opinions on this? Need a washing machine for a small charity where I do some work. It will only be used a couple of times a week so am considering buying a second hand machine. Also it will be housed in a garage and fearful that if we have a big freeze again it would damage the machine.

However, not sure if its possible to get an okay secondhand machine that would last a couple of years or should we just pay a few hundred euros extra and get a new one with a warranty. Do people ever sell washing machines that still have a few years in them or do you think they're all trouble? Or is it just pot luck?

Thanks.

I would just buy a new one. The cheapest one in Powercity is a Beko at €190 and they have a large range of various brands from that price to over €1,500.

Many secondhand purchases are cases of needing some luck. There will inevitably be some lemons being sold because they are lemons. But of course some perfectly serviceable machines will be sold secondhand also.

As you are looking for a charity, I think it may be worth putting up a few adverts requesting that anyone with a functioning but unwanted machine contact you. You might be surprised.

Thanks for all the replies. Normally my policy is to buy a brand with a good name but buy it secondhand instead of buying something new that's cheap but was really wondering if a washing machine should be an exception to this rule.

Might try posting it on a few websites to see if there's any response.

To the original quesiton, no I would never buy a second hand washing machine or dishwasher. Yes a second hand cooker or fridge.

we built our new house and moved in 3.5 years ago went for all bosch appliances, need a good reliable name and sure we will get years out of them, money in the bank, our washing machine died 2 weeks ago nearly 200 euro to get the boards replaced and installed, bought a currys own brand for 180 new, expensive brands aint always best

I have not purchased a secondhand washer, however I will say that my wife works at a boarding school and they use commercial Speed Queen stack washers from Mac-Gray. They have had them for years without encountering many problems.

How about looking at refurbished or seconds/graded/ex-display (slight dents etc) you might get a good brand at a significant discount (still more than second-hand price).

I haven't actually bought at either place I'm listing below but am about to buy a condenser dryer from one of them.

http://www.baize.ie/

[broken link removed]

Bear in mind, when a new washing machine arrives at your home it will have transit bars to hold the heavy drum in place during transit. These bars must be removed when installed and in most cases I would guess are then discarded.

Transporting a washing machine without reinserting the transit bars can cause irreparable damage.

These bars must be removed when installed and in most cases I would guess are then discarded.

These bars, which to me are very long screws should be kept with the machine in case one ever moves, I leave mine on top of the machine.

Hi,
One tip on buying a standalone dishwasher or fridge or cooker.
You are less likely to be getting a lemon if the seller is selling because of installing a new kitchen with built-in appliances that are replacing the free-standing ones.
Also I bought previously from baize.ie mentioned above, and would recommend them.

Just to update this thread we did purchase a second hand washing machine in June this year and - fingers crossed - so far so good.

Bought it from a local guy that advertises on facebook that he sells reconditioned machines and gives a 3 month guarantee. He has good recommendations on his page so decided to go with that as a new machine was a bit pricy for us. Probably wouldn't do it for a machine that's going to get loads of use though.

Back