Would you apply for a job in the banking sector nowadays?

Conshine

I have seen a job advertised in the IT department of an international bank and something inside me is saying no, but I am not too sure. Am interested in any advice.
The company seems to be hiring quite a few people.

I am working at the moment in what seems like a secure position, so could just stay, but want to move on anyway, but not sure if banking is the right move.

I actually know people that are working in Anglo in the IT dept and they are still there and think they will be for some time, but every day something else is reported in teh press about the future of these banks!

So considering events in recent years, I am not sure if I should go for it.

It's really your own call. No one can really advise you.

Perhaps it depends on how employable you'd be if you took the job in the bank and it didn't work out. How difficult would it be to find an alternative job?

If you're not happy in your current number, that's an issue although most people are playing safe these days.

There has been huge turmoil in the banking sector and lots of jobs, including IT, lost in Irish and international banks. RBS and BOSI are high profile job losses. The banking sector is in the news more than any other sector, there have been many IT jobs lost in other sectors.

There are many international banks that have IT operations in Ireland. Ireland also has many software companies that target the international financial services sector. I would consider it a good area to work in as you can protect your self against the Irish economy without leaving the country. I know of an international software company in Dublin that is currently recruiting software engineers, pre-sales engineer, product managers and usability engineers and managers for the financial services sector so there are jobs out there.

Your decision is probably more about leaving your current job rather than the risk of an international bank.

Back