Would you allow an uninsured window cleaner clean your home windows?

Odea

I recently arranged to have my windows cleaned by a local window cleaner. After we agreed on a price I asked him had he insurance.
He said he hadn't but if anything happened to him he would be insured under my house insurance.
What are the risks I take in allowing someone on to ,my property to clean my windows without their own insurance?
Thanks

I'm guessing the alternative is to clean them yourself and the same insurance would apply.
If you employ someone to clean your windows then they're working for you but, that doesn't stop the person doing the job from having their own insurance. Does he pay tax, etc?

He won't be insured under your house insurance. It's his concern whether he's insured or not, not yours. If he falls off his ladder then that's his problem.

If he supplies his own materials ie ladder, cloths, etc then he is not an employee but is employed under a contract for service. He is liable for his own insurance - if he damages your property, you can sue him for damages. If he injures himself, then you would not be liable.

If he injures himself, then you would not be liable.

Thanks for the replies.

I was always under the impression that if he had no insurance and fell off the ladder that he could claim off my household insurance?

I think that I have 3rd party liability insurance attached to my home insurance policy. What is that for?

I was always under the impression that if he had no insurance and fell off the ladder that he could claim off my household insurance?

I think that I have 3rd party liability insurance attached to my home insurance policy. What is that for?

Check the terms of your policy. This generally covers other members of your family, guests and visitors, and domestic employees, but will usually explicitly exclude any liability arising from any profession, trade or business.

How would you even consider hiring someone with such a blase attitude to your no claims bonus? The fact that such cover is excluded from your policy does not exclude you from liability. Having employed him to carry out work on your property, if he does fall, he can sue you personally. This liability has been used by rogue 'tradesmen' to extort money as they threaten to sue after staged accidents.

I am not sure you are getting good advice here. [This post crossed with Leo's which I largely agree with.]

If he he is hurt he can make a claim against you. Wether he succeeds or fails depends on the circumstances. He may say it was due to your fault that he was hurt.

If he did make a claim it would be nice to know that you were insured if his claim was successful. Most home insurance does cover this but you should check the details.

The question of him having his own insurance is irrelevant if he makes a claim against you.

Last edited:
Thanks. So what is the best advice here?

I will need a window cleaner from here on out. I need some of the trees in my garden topped. My house will need painting. Plumbers for leaks. Cleaners to clean my gutters.

It seems that even if I have insurance and the tradesman has insurance I can still be sued.

It seems that even if I have insurance and the tradesman has insurance I can still be sued.

Yes.

If you have insurance, then you are insured against any damages a court might find you liable for.

And it is of some value to you that the have his own insurance. He is less likely to sue you for something that is his fault. Also tradesmen with insurance are probably generally more reputable than those without.

You can also ask for an indemnity from his insurance company, a letter stating that they will cover you under his policy for any loss he may suffer while working for you. A bit of an ask for a window cleaner, but if you have a builder doing an extension it might be wise.

Thanks. So what is the best advice here?

I will need a window cleaner from here on out. I need some of the trees in my garden topped. My house will need painting. Plumbers for leaks. Cleaners to clean my gutters.

Lets be clear. This is covering your liability as a a property owner. Nothing more. Nothing less. If a court finds you liable the policy will pay (subject to the terms and conditions).

You need to check your insurance but generally people undertaking simple maintenance on your property will be covered under the liability protection under you house insurance policy. If they are doing large building or structural work, they generally won't be covered. They should all have their own insurance anyway because what happens if he breaks your windows or damages your property?? You would have to claim against him personally or off your own insurance. Insurance for these tradesmen is common. No reason for them not to have it.

What is legality of a sign similar to the one you see on nearly every private car park?
“The owner is not responsible for any damage to persons or their property entering herein”
I am sure the legal boys on askaboutmoney can improve on above.

What is legality of a sign similar to the one you see on nearly every private car park?
“The owner is not responsible for any damage to persons or their property entering herein”
I am sure the legal boys on askaboutmoney can improve on above.
doesn't hold water.

Back