Would we be suitable dog / puppy owners?

I believe greyhounds make fantastic pets and are very docile/loving animals. Strangely, given their reputation, they don't need much exercise and are passive around other animals.

Would definitely agree with this. A friend has a [broken link removed]who falls into the category above. Two to keep each other company would be a better idea though.

I would also have serious reservations about leaving any expensive dog alone where they can be stolen. This is a serious problem in Ireland these days and I've heard/read many a sad story about families being upset when their dogs were stolen. Labrador/labradoodle or other full breed might well attract unwanted attention.

The slot on TV3 each week is great for publicity for the people who do a marmvellous job. These details are available on the site:

Pets

PAWS
People Animal Welfare Society Ireland
For more information:
052 53507

ASH ANIMAL RESCUE
Helena & Remi's animal shelter
For more information:
059 6473396

ISPCA
Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
For more information:
1890 515 515

I got a rescue greyhound last year and she is an absolute gem. Theres a very common misconception that they are high maintenance and are vicious and the reality couldnt be more different. They absolutely love their comforts, she regularly disappears up to one of the beds or into her kennel for a sleep. She needs no more exercise than any regular dog. They're also amazing with strangers and kids. Couldnt recommend one highly enough.

I think you would definitely need to get two though if they were going to be left alone all day. I completely agree with Soldier - I think its much better for them to be homed in slightly less than absolutely ideal circumstances, than in the shelter indefinitely. A lot of dogs suffer mentally in shelters due the noise etc.

Many thanks for all replies and suggestions - will consider all and see what the best solution maybe. Thanks guys...

Personally I think if you have doubts at this stage you're better to wait. If you're both out at work all day are you going to have the energy or patience to walk dog(s) every night.

If you do decide to get a dog please get 2 so that they're company for each other and please please please get them from a shelter rather than buying a dog. I got my 2 dogs from a shelter and I dread to think of what will happen 1 of them when the other is gone. They are each others shadow. In the shelter near me there are frequently dogs that they are trying to home together(brothers & sisters presumably).

Best of luck whatever you decide.

If you get the dog as a pup..it will get used to whatever situation in comes into. We have two dogs in a similar situation.

A good home is better than no home

Go for it.

I also think it would be too long to leave a dog alone. Getting 2 definitely seems to be the answer. If you can, rescue them from a shelter. We got our dog from ASH in Wicklow. They have a huge amount of dogs and they do fantastic work. Our little fella is an absolute dote. House trained, friendly, funny and the best companion you could ask for!!

I say go for it and yes it would be lovely to give 2 dogs from a shelter a loving home, something some of those poor dogs may never have experienced. Dogs do tend to sleep a lot also and two together are company for each other.

I would definitley recommend getting two dogs, ideally from shelter and if you were lucky two that were previously in a home together? Puppies would be a bad idea as they need so much attention in the early months. My parents have two dogs, 4 and 5 years old. No one at home for around 6 hours a day but they get huge amounts of attention in the evenings and at weekends. They're very used to routine so if you ritually walk them as soon as you get home they will be happy. From my experience ours are awake alot of the night hours and spend alot of the day snoozing (noticed when i've the odd day off!) ready for alot of activity when we get home from work. The only problem would be if you're out much in the evenings, then i think it wouldn't be an ideal situation.

OP, 2 dogs is definately the way to go. why not get 2 rescued dogs? myself and the missus and family always get rescued dogs or dogs that are not wanted/given away. I know it may sound mad, but they will be so appreciative towards you because you rescued them...

OP, 2 dogs is definately the way to go. why not get 2 rescued dogs? myself and the missus and family always get rescued dogs or dogs that are not wanted/given away. I know it may sound mad, but they will be so appreciative towards you because you rescued them...

Thanks guys, yes a friend of mine in Cork did this one time. Rescued a mother and daughter pair of collies, 2 very close dogs that were delighted to be bought into a family. I've been browsing (for months!) on www.irishanimals.ie and will bear this in mind should we choose to go ahead. Many thanks!

my suggestion would be to get a pair of older dogs rather than puppies as I would not agree with leaving puppies / young dogs alone all day regardless of how much time you spend with them in the evenings / weekends

If you have to ask other people this question then I think no your not suitable.

If you have to ask other people this question then I think no your not suitable.

I disagree entirely - plenty of people think they're the best dog owners around, when the opposite is true. I think the OP is commendable in putting so much thought and research into what is a very big commitment - they obviously want what's best for dogs, which is a lot more than can be said for many people in Ireland who treat their animals as nothing more than fashion accessories and possessions to be dropped when they become boring or too much work.

Why - is it not a good idea for people to ask about the pro's and con's of pet ownership before taking on responsibility for another living creature?

I think PlekTrum has shown great sense in asking questions before making decisions.

We have one dog and she is home alone all day, although at the start it wasn't like that, as I could go home everyday for lunch. Things change and your circumstances may not always stay as you want them to. In this day and age, if I was to wait until one of us was home all day or working part time, I would be 65 before I could get a dog. Its not an ideal situation and I find myself rushing home as early as possible to be with her, I no longer browse the shops after work and if I meet friends, it is always for lunch and not in the evening. We don't go places at weekends unless we can leave her with the in laws or my parents and that is the reality of having a dog.
While I would love to get another dog to keep her company, himself has put the foot down and said one is enough. I firmly believe (and this is not justifying it to myself) that a dog on its own during the day is far better than a dog stuck in a dogs home for months before the inevitable happens. However, as a previous poster said, a dog does need mental stimulation and there are lots of things you can do to stave off boredom for the dog, interactive toys, kongs, even simple things like a bit of rope tied to a tree with a ball or plastic thing attached will keep them amused for a long time. You will get a lot of advice on irishdogs.ie, but like here, it will be conflicting. Many shelters will not home animals where you are out all day, which precludes a lot of loving owners from providing good homes for needy dogs. Don't forget your local pound, which is where I got mine...or she got me...depending on your outlook. Be very careful where you buy a pure bred pup, many of them are puppy breeders and highly bred dogs tend to be more prone to inherited/breed specific diseases. Labradoodles can suffer from epilepsy, labradors from hip dysplasia (sp) etc. You can't beat a mongrel for sturdiness!

We got a yellow lab puppy for my folks who are in their 60's. Theres a thread in here somewhere about it from last year when i was asking what was the right thing to do. Anyway, the dog is there a year now and there is absolutly no way on earth that she would be allowed leave the family now! She is undoublty one of the best things we ever did for the folks. A dog can turn a home upsidedown (in a good way). They totally have a personality all of their own and are always up for fun and messing about.

Caesar Millan, 'The Dog Whisperer' has written a great book (is it ok to mention it here?) which covers everything about getting and choosing a dog - well worth a read even for people who already own a dog.

Yeh I have two friends who both have dogs at home all day alone and they are fine. They live in normal terraced houses and so wouldnt even have all the room you can provide them with. Go for it!!!!! Much better for a dog to have a home than to be put down without one!

my neighbours have a dog on its own all day long - it barks and barks the whole time. If I put a toe outside the back door it barks, when the kids are playing on the street garden it barks, absolute nightmare for me and can't be much fun for the dog. Same thing with previous neighbours on other side. I know the OP has got plenty of space so at least dog has room to run around when you out, but I think it would be bored on its own.

Back