Would Northern Rock savings be frozen too?

bemmi

I have life savings in Euro at Northern Rock. In the event of a deposit freeze would Northern Rock deposits be counted as being in Ireland or UK? And would the UK bank guarantee have any implications? Thanks in advance for opinion...

It depends on the circumstances of the 'freezing'. Assuming you mean if Ireland defaults and is thrown out of the euro then probably yes. I can't see that happening myself (but hey I'm not an expert like everyone else). If you are resident in Ireland then you would be deemed to be part of the Irish deposit base.*

Disclaimer: Your home is at risk if you light a fire under the stairs. Yo yo's can go up as well as down.

Yes, that's what I meant. I'm resident in Ireland but the location of the funds would be the decider wouldn't it? If so, what I'm not clear on is whether my NR (Ireland) savings are considered to be in UK or Ireland? Thanks again!

Yes but if Ireland goes out of the Euro in my opinion it's just the end of the Euro. And unfortunately I believe Euro will end one day... Why? The impossible mission connected to creating one single currency without:
1) stronger political centralization
2) stronger taxation centralization
3) same flag and one army...

Back