Would it reduce SW if one brother working in same house?

Worried62

Say one brother is working and earning say €700 per week and the other is unemployed - with both living in the same house.

Would the brother who is on welfare have his welfare allowance reduced because his brother was earning?
As far as I know this happens with spouses but does the same happen with brothers?

Unemployed people under the age of 23 and living at home with their parents are assessed on their parents income for unemployment assistance.

If a young person claiming unemployment assistance is not living with their parents that unemployed person, as far as I am aware, will get the full rate of unemployment assistance. If the person is entitled to claim Unemployment Benefit then it makes no difference at all, they are assessed on their PRSI contributions not their parents income.

Unemployed people under the age of 23 and living at home with their parents are assessed on their parents income for unemployment assistance.

Persons under 25 living at home are assessed on their parent's income for Jobseeker's Allowance.

Thanks for correcting me there, it's good to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back