Would I get any money for selling a car that's been off the road?

cofee

Hi,
We have an '99 Audi A6 that has been off the road outside our house for 1.5 years. We couldn't afford the tax, insurance when it came up for renewal, so we said we'd get it on the road when we got the money together. But now we're surviving grand on the other car that we have. So it's been off the road and gathering dust for 1.5 years now. We're not going to use it again. Do you think we'd be able to sell it for scrap, get a bit of cash for it? Or would we have to pay to get it towed? Does anyone know of anyone providing this service in the north Dublin area?
Thanks,

Judging by some of the prices here ( http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A6/1999?searchsource=browse&cacheBuster=1317654504730617 )and depending on the condition of your car you might be better off putting a bit of money and elbow grease (service, new battery, a good wash and polish, maybe six months tax and take it for the NCT if it needs it) and then selling it.

Even if you spend €500 on it and sell it for €1500 - €2500 you'd be better off than selling it for scrap.

been trying to sell my 2001 audi a6 avant for 8 months started at 3.8k now down to below 3k only offers i get are daft ones for about €1500 its a buyers market right now out there...

My feelings are clean it up make sure its running, be honest and say its not been used much and if its in reasonable nick 1.5k may see it sell for 1k... its worth more than scrap.

I know a person who buys these scrap cars. If you want I can PM or post his number.
He would give you a fair price and your car will be scrapped, he even gives some kind of cert to shows it broken up. No connection to him only a friend.

Thanks for the responses. Great help.
Maybe we might just get it running and try and sell for a grand.. Would be delira if we got that much.. Nice Christmas!
onlineprint - would you mind posting that number of your mate and I can see what we could get for scrapping.. Thanks a million.

I agree and think it would be worth while to get it running, and advertise it. You might be suprised that it has value.

Hi - I have a Saab 900 convertible that needs quite a bit of work to pass the NCT. Got another car on the road at the moment and would love to move the Saab on either to a Saab enthusiast who would put it back on the road or to someone who would break it for parts. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks Ann

Hi Ann,

That Saab 900 cabrio in reasonable condition is worth a few bob. The old 900's have a loyal (diehard!) following, and the convertible is truly a classic and is even more rare than the standard 900, hence more desirable. The newer model 900 convertibles are also well liked, and if yours happens to be bright yellow it might be a Monaco edition which is worth more again.
Fantastic car.

Thanks Wickow Man, it is a lovely car, (not a yellow Monaco edition) still a beauty imho, never gave a day's trouble and deserves a good home.

Back