Would I get another mortgage?

cofee

Spouse’s/Partner's age: 36

Annual gross income from employment or profession: 43k
Annual gross income of spouse: 63-80k depending on bonuses

Type of employment: e.g. Civil Servant, self-employed: me private sector, husband semi state

In general are you:
(a) spending more than you earn, or
(b) saving? b - where we can

Rough estimate of value of home: bought in 2007 :( now at 330k I would think
Amount outstanding on your mortgage: 470k
What interest rate are you paying? 50: 50 split 2.05 tracker and coming of fixed in 2 months at 4.89 should go to 2.5% (yippee)

Other borrowings – car loans/personal loans etc None

Do you pay off your full credit card balance each month? Yes and Yes
If not, what is the balance on your credit card?

Savings and investments: Savings 37k on deposit

Do you have a pension scheme? Husband in semi state does

Do you own any investment or other property? 2 other properties, 1 bought in 2000 other bought in 2005, both lived in as PPR but moved on to bigger houses and stupidly retained, both paying for themselves and profit being made on them , not huge but enough to give us a tax bill at end of year.

Ages of children: 1.5 and 1 on the way

Life insurance: husbands work has a life insurance thing through the pension fund and we have life insurance on PPR - none on rental props

What specific question do you have or what issues are of concern to you?
Prob think I'm crazy but we would like to move to another house, and I'm guessing only option would be to rent out existing PPR, so I'm just wondering what the likelihood of getting another mortgage for a new PPR would be given the negative equity on our current. I would say the other two rental props are not in negative equity but would be v. close. Anyone know. This is my first post but I'm an avid reader of AAM :)

Could you put up the value of the two properties that are rented out and the remaining mortgages on them, interest rate your on and yield from rent.

Without seeing that I think you would be leaving yourself over exposed to property.
What size mortgage were you thinking of for the new property?

Hi,
Property 1 value 140k - remaining mortgage 138k tracker ecb +2.35% interest only, repayments €398 pm, rental yield €540 pm
Property 2 value 340k - remaining mortgage 330k tracker ecb +.8% cap + interest, repayments €1,218 pm, rental yield €1,300 pm

New mortgage looking at would be in and around the 400k mark!

That would mean exposing your self to mortgages to the value of 1.35 million on a starting combined wage of 106k. You would be crazy to consider this.

What would you recommend - selling the other 2 rental properties?
We wouldn't be able to sell the existing PPR so we'd have to ride it out until the negative equity disappeared? Does that mean we are trapped where we are for 10 years or more?

Does that mean we are trapped where we are for 10 years or more?

Can I ask what has change between 2007 and 2010 about your house that you now feel trapped? Is there anything you can do with the current one?

Was thinking the same as above poster, what is the issue with current house, is it size, layout, location, aspect, the estate itself, transport issues, other.
If you move and are not buying a new house you will be subject to stamp duty so for the price of that alone would you be able to make alterations to your current house to make it livable if that is the issue.
Alternatively is there an option to move in to one of the houses that you have currently rented or using any potential stamp duty like above to alter one of them to make them suitable.
It's hard to say what to do with the two you have currently rented they may not sell.

Don't want to sound harsh but there i no way the banks would consider you for another 400K mortgage, and if they do then this country has learned nothing from the mess we are in. You are currently around 90K in negative equity (taking your savings into account) and you have mortgages to the tune of 940K. You need to sell before you can buy. You are way too over exposed to property as it is.

Back