Would I be better off to take a part time job than work full time?

ailbhe

I am a single parent.

Current income is 450 per week salary and 42 per week FIS.

I work from 9 to 5 with an hours commute.

I have been offered a job in the shop near my house. I would be on minimum wage and working 3 hours per morning, earning 130 per week. These hours would fit in around my daughters school hours.
I would have no travel expenses (currently about 30 per week plus parking of 10 per week).

So currently I earn 492 per week.
I pay creche 75 per week while daughter is in school and 145 per week during holidays.

From my calculations if I take the part time job I would get 130 wages, 230 OPFA, 20 fuel allowance = 380 per week so a deficit of 112.

Working in my current job costs 75 creche plus 40 travel.

So it pretty much evens out.
I am aware i would have to pay childcare for days where she is not in school but that applies in my current position anyway.

Would I be mad to give up a secure full time job in financial sector (company is doing well and expanding) to work in a minimum wage position in retail?

I love my job but I feel my daughter is somewhat getting the short end of the stick. I am also struggling with study, work, family life etc since becoming a single parent again.

Stress is a part of my life and I think the new job would eliminate that however i worry about implications (loans, mortgages etc) in the future.

Any advice?

Are you sure the job you would be taking is secure and long term? Is there a possibility that you could go to a 4 day week or job share in your current role to give you the job security and also extra time with your daughter.

Company is making a profit, expanding, doing well etc. We were told 6 months ago that our jobs are secure and this was reiterated last month.
The newer job is in retail. I don't know that it would be long term or secure. It's a small shop that seems to be doing well but there would be no way of knowing if that would continue.

The company i am full time with is not flexible and doesn't allow part time, job sharing, parental leave unless a minimum of 6 weeks taken together. If they aren't legally obliged to do something then they don't do it.

Could you move nearer to where your work is to cut down on commuting and put your daughter in childcare nearer your job?

Back