Would garage buy straight with no tr

slookie

Hi all. I have been driving a 04 Avensis for past 2 years, and had been thinking of changing for a while. Yesterday, I paid a deposit on a 06 Passat (private sale), and am collecting it on Wednesday. Now my problem is to sell the Avensis. I put it in the buy and sell for 8k and got no phone call! The cheapest one on Carzone with same mileage - 72k mls - is going for €7600 and is a private sale too. So I wasn't over pricing or anything. My question is if I rang around a few local garages in Tipp, and asked them would they buy it from me straight, would they laugh at me? Don't know how it would work. A local garage was giving me €7500 last week for it against a 06 Passat but they wanted €9k more with it...way too dear. Or maybe I should chance advertising on Carzone. Don't want to hold onto it for too long! Any advice appreciated.

I dont think any garage will take any car off you at present. They are all stuck with a huge amount of cars they are struggling to shift. Even at trade price!

Given that many garages are refusing trade ins anyway, it's unlikley that they will simply buy a 2nd hand car unless they are getting a massive discount

have you tried a car auction, eg Merlin car auctions

Re: Would garage buy car straight?

There are a few other sites that you might consider advertising it. Donedeal.ie or gumtree.ie or car buyers guide which is cbg.ie.

Its hard to sell cars at the moment but if it is competitively priced you might be lucky.
Good luck.

I really dont think a garage will take a car in as its harder for them to sell nowadays

Go to one of the car auction places Merlin or wilsons. You will get bottom dollar as long as you don't have an unrealistic reserve the car should shift pretty quick.

Garages cannot take trade in's from people who want to buy new cars as they are carrying excess stock.

I put it in the buy and sell for 8k and got no phone call! The cheapest one on Carzone with same mileage - 72k mls - is going for €7600 and is a private sale too. So I wasn't over pricing or anything.

You have just contradicted yourself there...you're looking for 8k, but the cheapest one is 7600, and you don't think you've over priced. You need to be cheaper than the cheapest to sell in this climate...!!!

Back