Would a 5 kwh storage battery installed in an attic affect home insurance cover?

Groucho

My sister is getting pv solar panels installed next month and also plans to install a 5 kwh storage battery in her attic.

I don't want to worry her, but just wonder if doing this might affect her home insurance cover - can anyone advise please?

I'm thinking of suggesting that she consider installing an audible smoke alarm up there too, just in case.

I would come across such installations in attics regularly enough but a phone call to the insurance is the only real way of knowing for sure.

Sounds like a material change to the premises that the insurer would need to be told about.

And the solar system would add some value to the property....
Beware the sales pitch. Solar systems add value to the property, but less than the overall cost and diminishing over time as the system ages.

My sister is getting pv solar panels installed next month and also plans to install a 5 kwh storage battery in her attic.
I'd question the logic with FIT imminent, it was questionable whether battery systems would show any return on investment before the option of getting paid for excess came along.

I'd question the logic with FIT imminent, it was questionable whether battery systems would show any return on investment before the option of getting paid for excess came along.

That's why I chose not to take the plunge just yet, however for the (fiercely independent) sister, alea iacta est!

• Haha
Reactions: Leo
That's why I chose not to take the plunge just yet, however for the (fiercely independent) sister, alea iacta est!
Ah yeah, there are more factors than pure cost in decisions of this nature for many people.

Back