Worth shopping Around

kennyb3

I've finally decided to start my pension and have been doing a bit of reading on here.

I work in a small accountancy practice so there is no occupational pension scheme. So I have 2 options i take it:

PRSA via employer or find one myself.

My question is whether there is much of a difference between the various providers. I.E if my employer has can set up a PRSA with say New Ireland, is it worth me investigating each provider and setting up with the cheapest or are they all much of a muchness.

Also I presume I can select the type of fund from my employers provider to best match my risk appetite?

It is absolutely worth your while shopping around.

Don't obviously look for a recommendation on this site as being the clincher - each case is highly individual (the level of risk you're comfortable with and what investment profile/location you favour are just a couple of considerations).

Charges are a huge issue - the more confident you are about your choices the more sense it might make to go to an execution-only broker.

Will your employer make contributions? Will they only make such into "their" scheme? If yes, you might well be smart to go with that scheme even if it doesn't meet your needs as outlined above or if it turns out to have higher charges.

Be careful if the Employer contributes to a PRSA the employer portion is subject to income levy!

Back