Worth paying into pension

poppy123

With 5 years until retirement, would it be worth paying in 400 euro a month and the company will match this amount .thank you

Assuming you are age 60 you will get 40% tax relief on your contributions.

So an investment of €24,000 (matched by your employer equalling €48,000) will cost you €14,400.

Add on the prospect of tax free growth over 5 years and a tax free lump sum (potentially).

What’s not to like about that or is there more relevant information?

Thank you so very much . No more info . My hubby's 62 and we thought this was maybe worth it . Looks like it is

What might this a “no-brainier” is that a fund of c €48,000 will cost you €14,400 net (assuming you get tax relief at 40%) and you could possibly get the entire fund back as a tax-free lump sum on retirement (subject to Revenue rules). That’s a great return.

Assuming you are age 60 you will get 40% tax relief on your contributions.
That's incorrect.
At age 60+ they can contribute up to 40% of gross income into the pension and get full tax relief on it.
What rate that relief is at depends on their income.

That's incorrect.
At age 60+ they can contribute up to 40% of gross income into the pension and get full tax relief on it.
What rate that relief is at depends on their income.
Apologies I’m mixing up two different elements but in reality my sums may still be correct depending on the income.

I'm not sure I'll find out
Almost certainly it's worth contributing the maximum amount that the employer will match assuming that it can be spared.

It's also worth checking what options there are for what sort of fund/assets the pension can be invested in especially if the plan is to access the funds in 5 years.

At that stage there would usually be the option of a tax free lump sum of 20% 25% of the fund (subject to a maximum of €200k) and then rolling the balance into an ARF or buying an annuity with it.

But some of the details may depend on the nature of the scheme.

Last edited:
Almost certainly it's worth contributing the maximum amount that the employer will match assuming that it can be spared.

It's also worth checking what options there are for what sort of fund/assets the pension can be invested in especially if the plan is to access the funds in 5 years.

At that stage there would usually be the option of a tax free lump sum of 20% of fund (subject to a maximum of €200k) and then rolling the balance into an ARF or buying an annuity with it.

But some of the details may depend on the nature of the scheme.
20% or 25% TFLS?

20% or 25% TFLS?
My mistake (now corrected in my post) - thanks for pointing it out!

25%, but if the fund is less than 150% of Final Salary and you have at least 20 years service with that Employer, you might be able to take the total fund tax-free. A great deal.
It's probably a no-brainer already but that would certainly seal the deal! :)

Thank you all so much for your replies. Waiting to hear the maximum the company will match and hopefully we will contribute as much as we can. You've all been really helpful.

Back