Worried Sick - Caught with no Motor Tax

Lauren said:
Wheres that legendary *cough* post about road road tax evasion? I was dying to see the "reprimands" that would ensue...
If you mean the one that was poster here earlier today (hardly time for it to become legendary?) then it was deleted due to it condoning/recommending illegal activity.

Fair enough too. Understand that but thought we might have had at least half an hour of b**** slapping to view!

demoivre said:
Abolish road tax and you will solve the problem of road tax evasion - increase the price of petrol/ diesel to compensate the exchequer.

I heartily 2nd this proposal, and I'd include more tolls as well. And this is even though I'll be at risk of being worse off myself, but I'd much rather I was charged on the basis of usage than just for the privelage.

ubiquitous said:
1. It would discriminate against rural dwellers and favour urban dwellers.

Not really. For example, haven't you heard the RGDATA reasoning for being against the abolition of the groceries order? It'll apparently force all supermarkets to go "out of town" and therefore make all us city dwellers have to travel more to do our shopping.

Anyway, the differences in petrol prices will remain because of competition, and therefore in a lot of cases, rural petrol costs are less than in urban areas, so they gain that way.

ubiquitous said:
2. There is nothing to stop the govt reintroducing road tax at a later date while leaving the increased excise duty on petrol & diesel in situ.

There's nothing to stop the government doing anything, anytime, so applying this reasoning to a specific instance such as this doesn't really add to the pros or cons of the specific proposal above.

Lauren said:
Wheres that legendary *cough* post about road road tax evasion? I was dying to see the "reprimands" that would ensue...

Yeah, bring it back, please. :D
I wanted to have a go at that, sorry, respond, as well.

The statment that the poster had "a 2.5l car and I can't afford the road tax" just left themselves open for so so many comebacks and "suggestions".

Clubman, I meant legendary as in "couldnt believe someone would have the nerve to put it in writing kinda legendary", not in the positive sense...I've been shaking my head since I read it first!

ronan_d_john said:
Anyway, the differences in petrol prices will remain because of competition, and therefore in a lot of cases, rural petrol costs are less than in urban areas, so they gain that way.
How so? Surely competition is fiercer in urban rather than rural areas so one would expect it to be the other way around (i.e. cheaper in urban areas, dearer in rural areas)?

ClubMan said:
How so? Surely competition is fiercer in urban rather than rural areas so one would expect it to be the other way around (i.e. cheaper in urban areas, dearer in rural areas)?

Only going by personal experience ClubMan. For a period of time, living in Dublin Southside, and travelling a fair bit to the west coast, price of petrol was cheaper in Donegal and Mayo than it was in Dublin.

Fair enough - your personal experience trumps my lack of direct knowledge in this area.

ronan_d_john said:
Only going by personal experience ClubMan. For a period of time, living in Dublin Southside, and travelling a fair bit to the west coast, price of petrol was cheaper in Donegal and Mayo than it was in Dublin.

My experience would be the exact opposite - I always make sure to top up before leaving Dublin as I can rarely find cheaper down the country. Wouldn't spend much time in Mayo or Donegal though. Mainly midlands and Galway.

ubiquitous said:
2 big problems with this proposal:

1. It would discriminate against rural dwellers and favour urban dwellers.
2. There is nothing to stop the govt reintroducing road tax at a later date while leaving the increased excise duty on petrol & diesel in situ.

In relation to

1. Not necessarily . You get less miles per gallon driving in urban areas than you do in rural areas.

2. The gov. of the day makes policy decisions. It would be extremely odd imo for a government not to make what they thought was a prudent decision on taxation on the basis that the next government in office might make changes to that decision - seems an exceptionally odd way to decide on gov. policy imo . Should the present gov. not have reduced cgt from 40% to 20 % because a future Fine Gael/ labour gov. may well reinstate the higher level?

Hi Worried Sick, As you are thinking about entering the legal profession, maybe you should see what you are made of (and get some practice in) by representing yourself. Also, By chancing your arm in not taxing your car and thereby breaking the law, you are definitely the right material for the legal profession.

ClubMan said:
Fair enough - your personal experience trumps my lack of direct knowledge in this area.
Hoever, looks like your personal experience does not trump my research capabilities! ;) According to [broken link removed]:
Petrol prices slightly lower in Dublin

Average unleaded petrol prices were 1.6% lower in Dublin while average diesel prices were 1.1% lower in Dublin. (See Table 3).

[Also, By chancing your arm in not taxing your car and thereby breaking the law, you are definitely the right material for the legal profession.

Right, based on what exactly?

ClubMan said:
Hoever, looks like your personal experience does not trump my research capabilities! ;) According to [broken link removed]:

And there was me thinking I'd gotten away with the unsubstantiated personal experience comments :) . I saw this research today as well.

I haven't done that travelling route for some time now, so I've no problems with stats/research that says otherwise.

However, given the AA's average figures, we know how useful average number presentations can be. Does anyone actually pay 105.8c for a litre of petrol at the moment?

Because I'm assuming that most people here are Irish citizens between the ages of 18 and 70 and thus (with some exceptions) .

For a period of time, living in Dublin Southside, and travelling a fair bit to the west coast, price of petrol was cheaper in Donegal and Mayo than it was in Dublin.

I can't comment on your own personal experience but for a long time Donegal has been generally recognised (eg by the likes of the AA) as one of the more expensive areas in the country to buy fuel. Like Janet, I always make sure to buy petrol in Dublin as it is rarely cheaper down the country.

For example, haven't you heard the RGDATA reasoning for being against the abolition of the groceries order? It'll apparently force all supermarkets to go "out of town" and therefore make all us city dwellers have to travel more to do our shopping

Frankly, I don't have a whole lot of confidence in RGDATA's 'reasoning' on this and related topics.

ubiquitous said:
Like Janet, I always make sure to buy petrol in Dublin as it is rarely cheaper down the country.

Not always the case. Cork and Kerry eg Tralee and Tesco, Killarney are cheaper.

ubiquitous said:
for a long time Donegal has been generally recognised (eg by the likes of the AA) as one of the more expensive areas in the country to buy fuel.

Like I said, on average possibly, however there are always people who sell below the average - that thing called competition that we all love to see.

There was always a particular petrol station on the Donegal road out of Killybegs for example that was always (at the time) significantly cheaper than either other places in Donegal, or Dublin southside.

Donegal Town is quite reasonable for petrol. There is also a place in Letterkenny called Tinneys (the pumps are in the yard of their depot in Bonagee) that is significantly cheaper than most stations. Anyway, this hasn't much to do with the 'caught with no motor tax' issue.......

road tax was abolished in 1977 by the jack lynch led ff governement. it was reintroduced slowly ( not that slowly) over the next few budgets ie registration tax I think they called it first then finally back to road tax. in theory they put this tax on the fuel at pumps but of course we know that when road tax was reintroduced the tax on fuel never reduced.

Back