Worried about theft of Business plan

M

Michael

Is there a way I can protect a concept? I am in the initial stages of a web based business idea. I will need to recruit a webdesign company to build my site. I don't see a way to avoid letting them know the product.

As with any plan I believe mine is great! What if they decide to steal the idea or give it away?

You may say that they can do that anytime after I have gone into business. I know, but by "go-live" I expect to have a massive branding campaign in place and customers recruited. I firmly believe that whoever is in first, with commitment, will win and hold the base.

Does anybody know of a legal doc that I could get them to sign beforehand, or any good advice?

You can get them to sign a non-disclosure agreement. There are samples available on the web, but you should get proper legal advice.

look further

If it is a plan for a business which entails dealing with Irish individuals then contract out web development overseas and save some money developing the site at the same time.

Re: look further

If you're worried about protecting the idea then I think out-sourcing the idea abroad is probably the last thing you want to do. Trying to protect the idea in one country will be enough work.

Talk to a solicitor about a Non-Disclosure agreement. You could build into that agreement a clause the prevents them from working in the same area, or launching a similar site for a period of say 6 months, or a year.

Finally, I wouldn't worry too much. In my experience companies that build websites see all sorts of "Next Big Thing" ideas. Some are good, some are bad, but you'd be surprised how little temptation there is to take one of the ideas and rip it off.

Good luck with it.

-Rd

Secrecy

Cheers for that sensible info Dalton Road.

I have downloaded and edited a non-disclosure agreement which should deter them in the short term.

I am also too far ahead with other preparations, for anyone to rip me off.

mines not a bad suggestion

OK, but that only applies if it is truely novel. Most ideas aren't.

I did it - Contractor was adequately distantly removed from market to protect business idea.

Re: mines not a bad suggestion

Yes, ideas are a dime a dozen.
Everytime I have a nice idea I check Google, and find someone else is already doing it. Execution is the hard part.

Back