Worried about getting planning permission for house entrance

CORK SAN

I was wondering if anyone knows the stance that a county council/ An Bord Pleanala would take regarding using an agricultural entrance to a new house when there is another house entrance on the opposite side of the road. There is also a joint entrance for 2 houses on the opposite side of the road, about 10 meters away from this proposed entrance.
Its a rural road in an 80 km zone.
Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

The council may look favourably on the fact that you intend to use an existing entrance. Without seeing a map I couldn't give you much more advice only to add that ideally you should have an unobstructed view of 90m either side of your proposed entrance. The fact that there's other houses on the opposite side of the road shouldn't effect your proposed entrance

I have recently been refused by my council for use of an agricutural entrance - we were hoping to modify it and build primary residence on the site. We were on a regional road coming out of town in the 60km zone and had 120m sightlines in both directions. Best of luck with it and your council may look on it more favourably.

I have recently been refused by my council for use of an agricutural entrance - we were hoping to modify it and build primary residence on the site. We were on a regional road coming out of town in the 60km zone and had 120m sightlines in both directions. Best of luck with it and your council may look on it more favourably.

Firstly thanks alot to jfk and winston smit for your replies.
Winston smit, I was wondering was the reason that the agricultural entrance was not deemed suitable was that it would prevent access to the land for the farmer, as 120m sightlines seem more than adequate?

Hi Cork San

No, there was no mention of that. I think my council are trying to limit access points on regional roads, that's it. Although it didn't stop them granting premission further out the road in the 80km zone, but I'm not bitter! The quote from the refusal report is the following:

"having regard to site's location off the Regional route, where sightlines are restricted, it is considered that the proposed development would be injurious to public safety by reason of a traffic hazard and would materially contraven the provisions of the county development plan and would establish an undesirable future precedent"

The agricultural entrance is barely used, to be honest - belonging to an uncle in his seventies who keeps a few cattle every so often, but is not acceptable to the council. I hope you have beeter luck.

Back