Worried about claiming on house insurance again

tootsie

Quick question.
This house is 6 years old. In that time we have had 3 claims on the house insurance. 1 chimney fire, 1 flood from washing machine (ruined timber floor) and a slow leak from a pipe in the radiator also caused a floor to expand.

Now, there is a leak some where. The hall floor is destroyed, there is huge patches in the dining room and also the living room floor is expanding. Little hills all through the house and some very big ones you literally have to step over. The carpenter lifted the worst bits and the floor was literally wet to touch underneath. Plumber is there today and he reckons it will take alot of time to find all the leaks (or it could be just one pipe and the water found its own level on the floor)
Basically i’m mortified at the though of claiming again, and worried that with having had 3 claims they may refuse to insure me. I’ve just been really unlucky.

So, should I? Can they resuse to insure me again? Obviously i would expect my premium to go up. I’m at work today and anyone ive said it to thinks im mad and “that’s what insurance is for” But, im a worrier by nature. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

They will undoubtedly review any no-claims bonuses you might have and may jack up your premium. I don't believe they can refuse to continue to insure your property, but the premium may not be pretty.

Usually an insurance company will increase the claims excess before significantly increasing the insurance premium. So after you claim this time this may increase your excess to €2000 for example. It really does vary from company to company though and companies these days are using a no claim bonus structure so you may lose this. If your plumber is giving you an estimate make sure he says that he is trace and accessing the leak otherwise the company may not cover his labour. There is no onis on the insurance company to keep insuring but usually they will always offer some terms. If worse comes to worse you can always pay back the claim to the company and go back to your current terms.

Back