Worried about AIB Deposits

mashadea

hello all,
just opened an easy access accounts with Nationwide U.K.,N.I.B., and ulster bank in a panic to get my funds out of A.I.B.
I have left some money in A.I.B.-is this safe???under the state guarantee?
should i transfer more money into Nationwide U.k.? on christmas eve?
their guarantee is 50,000 sterling,is it wise to lodge deposit in excess of their guarantee?
i would like to set up a rabo bank account,but this was not possible untill the new year...
is any money safe in A.I.B. over christmas?
i am worried sick!

AIB is now a state bank backed by a state guarantee. It is safe as long as the government can continue to support AIB and the ECB/Central Bank of Ireland supplies ongoing liquidity.

their guarantee is 50,000 sterling,is it wise to lodge deposit in excess of their guarantee?

From January 1st 2011, the first 100,000 EUR (not GBP) is protected with Nationwide UK.

Have you set up your Nationwide UK account? You will get a much better rate of return with Nationwide UK.

i would like to set up a rabo bank account,but this was not possible untill the new year...

Why?

i am worried sick!

Don't worry, 99.99% likely your deposit is safe for the short period you mention.

AIB will probably end up costing the taxpayers more than Anglo.

They admit €42 billion of their loan book is "impaired", they have only provided less than €5 billion against this. so according to them potential loss of €37 billion awaiting the taxpayer.

We can probably assume that the situation is much worse. How can the Financial Regulator justified allowing accounts with such under provisions so blatant?? I dont think the new broom is sweeping clean

worried over AIB deposits

Thank you Ciaran for that reassurance.
I am interested in opening a Rabo account for security- its AAA rating.
Does any-one know a good impartial financial advisor/accountant based in dublin?
Nollaig Shona Doidh go léir!
This site is a life saver!

Rosie - Agreed that we are far from at the end of the AIB saga.

What do you need a financial advisor for? Is it to do with deposits or investments?

hello all,
just opened an easy access accounts with Nationwide U.K.,N.I.B., and ulster bank in a panic to get my funds out of A.I.B.
i am worried sick!

Don't wait. It is possible. Rabo are open over Christmas. The Rabo website says they are open tomorrow.

The Rabo opening hours are [broken link removed]:

25th to 29th December inclusive - Closed
30th to 31st December - 9am to 4pm
3rd January - Closed
4th January - Business as usual 8am to 7pm

Back