Worm.Win32.NetSky - what is this?

seaflower

One of the laptops at home keeps getting pop-ups warnings about Worm.Win32.NetSky (not sure what program/process triggers the pop-ups).

The computer has up-to-date Symantec AV which detects nothing (there were few viruses but are now cleaned), also tried Spybot S&D and AdAware - they too don't find anything. The pop-ups keep coming up every 2-3 minutes and are very annoying.

I've googled it and can't seem to find consistant information what is this Worm.Win32.NetSky :confused: some say it is virus, some say it is a malware, some say it is nothing - and all removal instructions seem to work on specific case basis.

Can anybody throw any light, or can you advise a reliable website to check this out? Few hours browsing I'm non the wiser :( It would be easier at this point to reformat and re-install windows.

Try Crap cleaner, AVG and Microsoft Defender, links in the clean pc post.

Try CC Cleaner and X-Cleaner. In my experience its not unusual to need to use a few different AV products to clean a machine. Download all the recommended ones and try them all. An hour trying that approach is worth it if it saves you a day in time reinstalling the computer from scratch.

Thank you, will try them all now and come back to report if it worked.

Meanwhile - does anybody know if this is a REAL virus/worm?

Google is our friend - use it wisely!
Think I am missing something :rolleyes:

Thanks again for all suggestions, I run CCleaner (cleaned lots of junk) and AVG (cleaned two worms but didn't detect anything called NetSky).
It seems whatever it was, it is gone now, so hopefully the problem is resolved.

Wouldn't have thought of using another AV program, will keep that in mind in future! :)

Think I am missing something :rolleyes:

From the first link in the search I conveniently linked for you! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

"This worm spreads via the Internet as an attachment to infected messages. It sends itself to email addresses harvested from the victim machine.
The worm is activated when the user launches the attached file by clicking on the attachment. The worm will then install itself and start propagating.
The worm itself is a PE EXE file, written in Microsoft Visual C++ and packed using UPX. The packed file is approximately 24KB in size and the unpacked file is approximately 138KB in size."

Might be an idea to get tougher with your email. Don't open anything you don't know where it came from. Just delete it.

Back