worldwide travel insurance that covers airline failure

anniemac

we have booked our holidays to Florida DIY for June 2010[all done on CC] have always used Ulster Bank Travel Insurance but with all the airline and travel company failures I would just like posters advice on who is best to buy multi-trip/world wide travel insurance. need cover for 2 adults and 1 child.

if you've booked with a major airline I wouldn't be too worried. As long as the airline is bonded there shouldn't be a problem but if you're flying with one of the big US carriers or even dare I say it, Aer L, you should be fine.

if you're flying with one of the big US carriers or even dare I say it, Aer L, you should be fine.

I am sorry to say that you must be dreaming. Recall the incident at Dublin Airport in July 2008 ?? Aer Lingus left my wife and self in Rome and simply canceled the flight and did not provide any alternative travel arrangement. The Insurance did not cover us for travel from Rome to London, then to Belfast and by Taxi to Dublin. No compensation and nothing from Aer Lingus,
Insurance refused to compensate us and after looking at alternatives, the only Insurance that would cover us then and now is the High Level American Express Insurance available through their Platinum Card or higher.

Problem is most European Airlines will not take American Express.

The question posed was about airline failure...my response was that the major airlines including Aer L are unlikely to fail between now and the OP's holiday.

Travel and other insurance policies rarely if ever cover acts of terrorism or of God (usually bad weather).

On some of the English holiday forum's they are saying that the AA offer good cover in addition to the normal they cover if an airline collapsed such as what happened last week with Flyglobespan. We are booked via expedia for flights [aerlingus & virgin] and travel republic for accom and hertz for our car hire and we have got an exceptional deal for 3 adults €1,800 in total [we paid €1500 for 2 of us last year] I just want to make sure if things go belly up we wont have to pay through the nose to get home!

I use multitrip.com.

Worldwide annual travel insurance with airline failure plus flight cancellation cover & excess waiver came to €81 this year.

Back