World Cup Final

joer

What a great pulsating game and worthy of a World Cup Final.
It was no game for the fainthearted. It was tough and yet skillful.
The only thing that Ireland can take from this tournament is that we were the only team to beat the now and reigning world champions along the way .

I have seen the Saturday games as myself and my friends have gone to and left the pub earlier to avoid crowds .
If last nights game was the apex of the Rugby Union game then the sport is truly in trouble , perhaps the worst game between top teams in the tournament- ferociously competitive with neither side rising above mediocrity.

Was that not due to the fact that they , more or less, cancelled each other out. They were two very physical teams .
One would have to expect it was never going to be a classic..

Not only did I enjoy the RWC final, I enjoyed the whole tournament and the controversies along the way. First I’d be a die hard hurling fan. But, we could learn much and accept change as did the rugby faithful. The tournament allowed referees to have a change of mind. I heard referees apologising for some decisions. I noticed lots of respect towards match officials. I enjoyed the fast restarts which led to attacking sport and reduced time wasting. There was no rolling on the ground like the player was involved in an air crashwhen injured. The game of rugby was the biggest winner and even GAA people could learn much from it. Now all we’ve got to do is catch up.

In general I agree and I'm gratified to see our coach and players rewarded with their Team of the Year awards. However, set pieces need a lot of tidying up.

• Dan Sheehan
  • Tadhg Furlong
  • Caelan Doris
  • Garry Ringrose
  • Bundee Aki
  • Andy Farrell

Scrums in particular are a shambles a lot of the time and the number of re-sets is bordering on the ludicrous. Simplify the laws and send the first infringer (or hinger) off with a yellow card, and peno to the opposition. Persistent infringement to be penalised by uncontested scrums awarded to the opposition. Please discuss.

Lineouts are not a lot better. "The gap" law is being ignored by England, NZ and SA, depriving teams like Ireland of an attacking option. Unless a match official can walk the length of the line-out with arms outstretched without making contact with a player, s/he awards a penalty against the first player s/he touches with an outstretched hand. No line-out takes place. Please discuss.

When an illegal tackle results in the tackled player being injured, the tackler is automatically penalised and given a red card. Please discuss

Last edited:
In general I agree and I'm gratified to see our coach and players rewarded with their Team of the Year awards. However, set pieces need a lot of tidying up.

• Dan Sheehan
  • Tadhg Furlong
  • Caelan Doris
  • Garry Ringrose
  • Bundee Aki
  • Andy Farrell

Scrums in particular are a shambles a lot of the time and the number of re-sets is bordering on the ludicrous. Simplify the laws and send the first infringer (or hinger) off with a yellow card, and peno to the opposition. Persistent infringement to be penalised by uncontested scrums awarded to the opposition. Please discuss.

Lineouts are not a lot better. "The gap" law is being ignored by England, NZ and SA, depriving teams like Ireland of an attacking option. Unless a match official can walk the length of the line-out with arms outstretched without making contact with a player, s/he awards a penalty against the first player s/he touches with an outstretched hand. No line-out takes place. Please discuss.

When an illegal tackle results in the tackled player being injured, the tackler is automatically penalised and given a red card. Please discuss
I hope you are not thinking of refereeing a match soon .....are you :rolleyes: .
If we go by your suggestions there won't be enough players to start the second half...

If we go by your suggestions there won't be enough players to start the second half...
A lot of people argue in favour of letting a game flow, but that simply rewards cheating. These players are pros who try to play to the limits of what a referee will allow. If refs consistently crack down on common infringements, then they will disappear from the game.

I like the refereeing in Rugby as they have microphones and while looking at the match you can hear the ref talking to the players and warning them when need be. You feel that you are been constantly kept informed as to what is going on.
Like I said before, I don't know much about the game only what I see on tv but I cannot understand how cheating would be going in these games..
I stand to be corrected of course......and I'm sure I will be..

I have seen the Saturday games as myself and my friends have gone to and left the pub earlier to avoid crowds .
If last nights game was the apex of the Rugby Union game then the sport is truly in trouble , perhaps the worst game between top teams in the tournament- ferociously competitive with neither side rising above mediocrity.
It was a game for those who understand the game. I find soccer dreadfully boring nearly all the time, especially when either of the two Irish teams are playing. The Champions League is usually less boring. That, I'm sure, is because I don't really appreciate the game. The same, it seems, applies to you watching Rugby.

It was a game for those who understand the game. I find soccer dreadfully boring nearly all the time, especially when either of the two Irish teams are playing. The Champions League is usually less boring. That, I'm sure, is because I don't really appreciate the game. The same, it seems, applies to you watching Rugby.
Exactly. You just cannot compare Rugby to soccer. Most Rugby games are exciting. Occasionally, like the final, you get two well matched teams who just cancel each other out. Soccer is not a good game because there are too many cheaters, or divers, whichever you prefer, inconsistent refereeing and now inconsistent VAR decisions.
With Rugby you hear consistently what is going on. There doesn't seem to be many wrong decisions.

Exactly. You just cannot compare Rugby to soccer. Most Rugby games are exciting. Occasionally, like the final, you get two well matched teams who just cancel each other out. Soccer is not a good game because there are too many cheaters, or divers, whichever you prefer, inconsistent refereeing and now inconsistent VAR decisions.
With Rugby you hear consistently what is going on. There doesn't seem to be many wrong decisions.
If you read a social media discussion of a rugby game after the match there will be usually be a lot of discussion of the cheating that went on and what was missed by inconsistent refereeing in scrums, mauls and line outs. The 'dark arts' in rugby are just less obvious because it happens in the 'fog of war' in a melee and cameras may not pick up on half of it.

There was only one try in the final and I didn't have a clue why any of the 6 penos were awarded. All the same it was more exciting than your typical soccer match - there always seemed to be a possibility of a breakthrough and no obvious spoiler play.
Though of course Maradona's goal against England (not the hand of god one) beats anything in rugby for beauty.

Last edited:
There was only one try in the final and I didn't have a clue why any of the 6 penos were awarded. All the same it was more exciting than your typical soccer match - there always seemed to be a possibility of a breakthrough and no obvious spoiler play.
Though of course Maradona's goal against England (not the hand of god one) beats anything in rugby for beauty.
In American football, because the play is stopped, on TV show you exactly what the penalty calls were for. Also helps the penalties are usually one on one.
Rugby game moves faster, replays don't focus on the penalty calls and a lot of it not picked up by camera.

I wouldn't believe Anything from social media....When a game is over you can re wind it and re play it as often as you like and are able to pick out the ' ones that got away '. That's why the guys and gals on the panels sound so good....they have the benefit of replays and as my son says hindsight is a wonderful thing..

Fair play to you , you say you cannot compare rugby to Football and immediately proceed to do so !
The football World Cup final featured two well matched teams In Argentina and France who went on to produce a game for the ages viewed by 1.5 billion featuring a level of skill by both teams as compared to it’s Rugby equivalent which was physically attritional and exciting but the rugby itself was mediocre.
I read a surprising statistic that all the knockout games were lost by teams who spent more time with the ball in hand with the likes of South Africa employing a blitz defence , tastical kicking and bone shuddering tackles , welcome to Catennacio rugby .
The humiliating defeats suffered by Namibia , Chile ,Italy , Romania and Uruguay have prompted World Rugby to make radical changes for the next World Cup - yes they’re increasing the number of teams by 4 instead of decreasing the number of teams to ensure more competitive games !
The one change to rugby laws that should change immediately is the lowering of the legal height of the tackle to waist high level as in the amateur game before it is becomes unavoidable as a result of the upcoming multi million lawsuits being pursued by retired Rugby players suffering from early onset dementia .
It was regrettable to read of the death threats against Wayne Barnes but the decision made by the team of officials to send off Cane and not Kolisi seemed remarkably inconsistent triggering the usual moronic outpourings.
Sure Football is the most venal sport on the planet due in no small part due to it’s dominance and the vast quantities of money involved but the popularity of the game continues to expand exponentially nonetheless due to the fact that it dominates in terms of tv coverage and media reporting and most importantly that people appreciate the beauty of the game .
Sure there is a minority of cheaters and divers in the game but VAR has ultimately made diving for penalties a no win game , people seems to forget that Football is such a pacy game that the slightest touch sends players to ground.
It should also be remembered that rugby has produced players like Dylan Hartley , Trevor Brennan,Danny Greenock and Chris Jones who have been sent off for a variety of offences including biting , gouging, stamping, abuse of referees and attacking a fan and who knows what happens in the Southern Hemisphere!
I say this as someone who has attended many rugby games particularly 6 Nations games ( as I have said before on this site not enthusiastically , rather entertaining and being entertained in return by clients of the Bank I worked for ) I find rugby is far less skilful than Football but then any game , with the exception of Hurling, where you can control and pass the ball with your hands is bound to be .

Fair play to you , you say you cannot compare rugby to Football and immediately proceed to do so !
The football World Cup final featured two well matched teams In Argentina and France who went on to produce a game for the ages viewed by 1.5 billion featuring a level of skill by both teams as compared to it’s Rugby equivalent which was physically attritional and exciting but the rugby itself was mediocre.
I read a surprising statistic that all the knockout games were lost by teams who spent more time with the ball in hand with the likes of South Africa employing a blitz defence , tastical kicking and bone shuddering tackles , welcome to Catennacio rugby .
The humiliating defeats suffered by Namibia , Chile ,Italy , Romania and Uruguay have prompted World Rugby to make radical changes for the next World Cup - yes they’re increasing the number of teams by 4 instead of decreasing the number of teams to ensure more competitive games !
The one change to rugby laws that should change immediately is the lowering of the legal height of the tackle to waist high level as in the amateur game before it is becomes unavoidable as a result of the upcoming multi million lawsuits being pursued by retired Rugby players suffering from early onset dementia .
It was regrettable to read of the death threats against Wayne Barnes but the decision made by the team of officials to send off Cane and not Kolisi seemed remarkably inconsistent triggering the usual moronic outpourings.
Sure Football is the most venal sport on the planet due in no small part due to it’s dominance and the vast quantities of money involved but the popularity of the game continues to expand exponentially nonetheless due to the fact that it dominates in terms of tv coverage and media reporting and most importantly that people appreciate the beauty of the game .
Sure there is a minority of cheaters and divers in the game but VAR has ultimately made diving for penalties a no win game , people seems to forget that Football is such a pacy game that the slightest touch sends players to ground.
It should also be remembered that rugby has produced players like Dylan Hartley , Trevor Brennan,Danny Greenock and Chris Jones who have been sent off for a variety of offences including biting , gouging, stamping, abuse of referees and attacking a fan and who knows what happens in the Southern Hemisphere!
I say this as someone who has attended many rugby games particularly 6 Nations games ( as I have said before on this site not enthusiastically , rather entertaining and being entertained in return by clients of the Bank I worked for ) I find rugby is far less skilful than Football but then any game , with the exception of Hurling, where you can control and pass the ball with your hands is bound to be .
I was only pointing out the differences between the two sports, in my opinion.
And I am sticking to the points that I made....with all due respect..

I was only pointing out the differences between the two sports, in my opinion.
And I am sticking to the points that I made....with all due respect..
Indeed, I’m aware that you are comparing the two sports !
With all due respect you are more than entitled to speak your mind .

@Deiseblue, I think some people are partially blinded by inverted snobbery and that informs their view of Rugby.
I never played it having gone to a GAA school run by the Christian Brothers but I thoroughly enjoy watching it and attending matches where the fans can be trusted to behave like human beings and mix with each other adds to that enjoyment.

Suggesting that the skill levels in Soccer are higher is just silly. There are certainly different skills required but that's a different matter.
There have certainly been dirty players in Rugby but I've never seen any of them deliberately break an opponents leg and end their career like a certain former Irish soccer player did.

@Deiseblue, I think some people are partially blinded by inverted snobbery and that informs their view of Rugby.
I never played it having gone to a GAA school run by the Christian Brothers but I thoroughly enjoy watching it and attending matches where the fans can be trusted to behave like human beings and mix with each other adds to that enjoyment.

Suggesting that the skill levels in Soccer are higher is just silly. There are certainly different skills required but that's a different matter.
There have certainly been dirty players in Rugby but I've never seen any of them deliberately break an opponents leg and end their career like a certain former Irish soccer player did.
Really?
We had rugby players faking blood injuries to gain an advantage, and then examples like the targeting of Brian O'Driscoll in a spear tackle.

It is not silly to suggest the skill levels in soccer are higher. Given the number of people playing soccer versus rugby, reasonable to expect skills levels to be higher as a factor of that - all things being equal. Plus rugby is a more physical game than soccer. Someone in Sexton's position maybe not, but across the positions, seems like a sound proposition to me.

Interesting discussion on our WhatsApp Group comparing the disciplinary issues in the football and Rugby World Cups .
7 red cards in the Rugby WC in 48 games versus 4 in 64 games in the Football WC .
The consensus is that World Rugby’s worst fear has come true as the majority if not all of the cards were for reckless dangerous head high tackles including one card which effectively decided the final - they really are going to going to bring in the legal height of tackles to waist high .
Then the bould Roy Keane was raised as the ultimate example of a career ending tackle - the guy went on to say that Ian Whittell in the Sunday Times had stated that Keane had broken Haaland’s leg thus ending his career .
Not only is that false but Haaland climbed to his feet after the tackle and finished the game , he then went on to play for Norway against Bulgaria 4 days later and played for City versus West Ham the following weekend, hell of an achievement with a broken leg !
His career was indeed ended by a left knee injury which Haaland confirmed he carried into the United game , the malicious tackle perpetrated by Keane was on his right leg .
Do journalists not do any research anymore?
Interestingly Halland retired in 2002 but returned briefly 9 years later in the lower Norwegian lower leagues .

Back