Works in construction industry, self-employed sub-contractor Can he join a Union?

onway

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this question or not. My husband works in the construction industry and is self-employed - working as a sub-contractor. Can he join a union??

Re: union membership

i suppose he can, but what employer will the union talk to since he's self employed????

Re: Union membership

Presumably a lot of contractors won't employ him if he's not a member of the appropriate trade union.

I thought that the self employed were not accepted into unions. Is this not the case?

Why would someone who is self employed want to join a union:confused: Who does he want protection from - himself???? Unions do not accept self - employed members for this very reason.

I know plenty of self employed tradesmen who continue to be members of their relevant craft union.

ubiquitous said:
The taxi unions are populated almost entirely by self-employed drivers and entrepreneurs.
Wasn't the Taxi union kicked out of the ICTU or some such body a while back for that very reason?

Can I ask what services he needs that require him joining a Union ???

Unions will represent any workers wishing to be Unionised, but when it comes to services he wants ......

I believe a lot of taxi drivers are SIPTU members, and I think it was SIPTU who organised the recent taxi strike over the bank holiday weekend.

Back