workplace temperature

M

mbridge

Hello,

is there any legislation about very warm office very little fresh air just a small window open . It is over 30 degrees c sometimes . Also should there be a rest area away from here for tea breaks etc.

I think it's just over 27 degrees. some staff where i work have thermometers taped to the wall, maybe try the hsa?

Is there a maximum temperature for an office?
This is covered by Part III of the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (General Applications) Regulations 1993.
There is no maximum temperature stated under the regulations but as a guideline a minimum comfortable working temperature for indoor sedentary workers is 17.5 degrees centigrade and upper level for comfort is 27 degrees centigrade (when undertaking light duties). In extremely hot weather conditions, measures such as for example, the provisions of fans, provision of cold water dispensers and regular water breaks for staff, the relaxation of formal dress codes, the introduction of flexible working patterns etc., can assist in maintaining comfortable working conditions.

In addition, each enclosed workplace must be adequately ventilated. In most cases the natural ventilation provided through windows and doors will be adequate. However in some cases forced ventilation may be required.
See the Guide to the 1993 General Appliclation Regulations for details.

Source
[broken link removed]

It does not seem unreasonable to ask for an air-conditioning unit to be supplied. Desk fans and chilled water are the very leas I would expect.

Back