Working with strong personality.. problems

indebtedgal

I have been in a job since Jan and I really like it. everything about it suits me but I have one issue that I think could potentially become a time bomb! There are 2 of us doing admin but we both have different roles although admittedly there is some duplication.We share an office. She is essentially who I report to, and she reports to the Financial Off. However, she has a very good relationship with the CEO and tends to go directly to him and I have even seen her question te Finance Off!! To say she has a "strong" personality is an understatement. It is her way or no way. She questions everyone in the office and hasn't a good word to say about anyone except the CEO. She is really starting to bug me as she gets involved in everything he asks me to do, no matter how menial the task. I could go for lunch and when I come back she could have finished something I started, she could have completely changed my desk around, or she could have contacted one of my clients and told them x y or z was happening without even discussing it with me. However on another level we actually do get on and we can have a laugh but just in terms of work arrangements she is getting on my goat. It is the sequence of little things that are getting to me rather than one big thing, therefore I suppose I haven't had a situation to confront her. A few people in the office have said to me to watch out for her, and one other member of staff in a different dept has accused her of bullying him in the past.

I really don't know what approach to take, as I don't want to jeopardise my job, and in terms of going to CEO i'm not sure are they are very tight.. The Finance Off is not really in a position to do anything either as she has her own issues with both of them.

Advice Please before I flip!!

Can you start politely drawing lines in the sand?

Example based on your post: She re-arranges your desk, can you immediately re-arrange it and say 'id prefer if you didnt re-arrange my desk please, thanks'.

She finishes a job you started, can you politely say 'Id rather you didnt finish work off for me as I like to see a job through to the end'.

Can you start politely drawing lines in the sand?

Example based on your post: She re-arranges your desk, can you immediately re-arrange it and say 'id prefer if you didnt re-arrange my desk please, thanks'.

She finishes a job you started, can you politely say 'Id rather you didnt finish work off for me as I like to see a job through to the end'.

Exactly.

One advantage to her having a 'strong personality' is that you can probably be very direct with her without causing too much upset.

Just make your feelings known to her.

I should also add that in the time I have been here, I have never been corrected on any of my work or have not done work. So really she has no cause to be thinking I am not able to do it.

I could go for lunch and when I come back she could have finished something I started, she could have completely changed my desk around, or she could have contacted one of my clients and told them x y or z was happening without even discussing it with me.

She doesn't like to delegate !! I'd agree with above - polite but firm.
Can you put a password lock on you PC so if it's idle for a few mins she would need the password. If she does finish something/call your clients: ask her was there something wrong that she felt she needed to get involved....pitch it from the angle that you want to learn and improve.
When she wants to get involved with something the CEO assigns you; tell her you would like to complete it solo & she can review it after (she is you boss, so thats her right), but maybe you can put a tag-line of the report saying "prepared by indebtedgal", as she may be passing on your work as her own.

Back