Working with PC: is there a legal temperature that an office must be at?

mousey

As we approach the even colder months does anybody know if there is a legal temperature that an office must be at. I work in an office and all my work revolves around the pc.
Thanks

Re: Heat in Office

SI/299/07 part 2 chapter 1 , reg 7

Minimum
Sedentary office work 17.5c after one hour
other sedentary work 16c

Last edited:

I think regardless of legal min. requirements though, it's good practice to maintain (as far as possible) a temperature level that keeps everyone happy - especially women. Not being sexist, but IME they definitely feel the cold more.

I would agree. There are only 2 people that sit in our office and both of us are female. I'm pregnant and was told by friends when I announced this 'oh lovely you'll have the added bonus of the extra heat that comes from the baby just in time for winter'. I'm still waiting for this!!! I would not be a person that feels the cold much but when in my sisters and mams house I've had to leave the houses to cool down and they've had no heating on! After a day in this office it is impossible to get the heat into me, i've had the heating on at home and put the fire on but to no avail. Simply getting sick of working with my jacket on. Its awkward and shouldnt be req IMO

I would agree. There are only 2 people that sit in our office and both of us are female. I'm pregnant and was told by friends when I announced this 'oh lovely you'll have the added bonus of the extra heat that comes from the baby just in time for winter'. I'm still waiting for this!!! I would not be a person that feels the cold much but when in my sisters and mams house I've had to leave the houses to cool down and they've had no heating on! After a day in this office it is impossible to get the heat into me, i've had the heating on at home and put the fire on but to no avail. Simply getting sick of working with my jacket on. Its awkward and shouldnt be req IMO

Have you asked for a heater?

Yes! there are 4 double radiators in the office would be more beneficial, maybe not cost effective, to switch them on. I brought in my own heater and was asked to switch it off and told the heating would be on throughout the day -this never happened. On top of that I have heard that the heat was never asked to be switched on by the boss. It would appear say one thing to staff and do the opposite/nothing. I have since gotten a dimplex off another manager which is now beside my desk but does not give off much heat.

Start wearing a coat, hat and scarf in the office... they may get the message :D

surely u can tell your bosses you're cold and ask them to remedy the situation? A happy worker is a good worker and all that...

As pointed out, since November 2007, there is a minimum temperature for offices.

Although it is subject to some caveats, i.e. the work is sedintary and is based upon so far as is reasonably practicable, if it is just a matter of an employer reluctant to turn the heating on at the beginning of October then that isn't a sufficient argument.

Also included in the new provisions is that employees have the right to access means of measuring temperature for themselves. It seems the easiest solution is to find out what the temperature is firstly. If it is below the 17.5 C, then they must introduce measures so that it is above this level after the first hour of work.

I suspect the manager is actually my Dad as no matter what the current weather, the heating was not allowed to be on until 1st November and was immediately switched off on 1st February.

have been wearing my coat all week and have been seen. Whenever anyone enters my office they say 'God its cold in here' Didnt wanna rock the boat by continually asking, my position is subject to 6mths satisfactory probation but I'm also preganant, kinda caught in a catch 22 situation. Thankfully this morning when I arrived to work the heating was on. The rads are luke warm at the minute but at least its heat.
Downside is I'm suffering from a sore throat and stuffed nose now... can see a great weekend ahead!

my position is subject to 6mths satisfactory probation but I'm also preganant, kinda caught in a catch 22 situation.
I don't understand - where is the catch 22 situation? :confused:
Downside is I'm suffering from a sore throat and stuffed nose now...
What has this got to do with the substantive query? Colds are caused by a virus - not by lack of heating or cold weather.

I don't understand - where is the catch 22 situation? :confused:

What has this got to do with the substantive query? Colds are caused by a virus - not by lack of heating or cold weather.
But when we are cold our bodies reduce the blood flow to our extremities in order to keep our core temperature up. This means that our ability to fight off the virus in our nose or sinus is reduced and the virus can take hold. Basically being cold doesn’t cause colds but if the virus is present we have a much higher chance of it beating our natural defences if we are cold.

But when we are cold our bodies reduce the blood flow to our extremities in order to keep our core temperature up. This means that our ability to fight off the virus in our nose or sinus is reduced and the virus can take hold. Basically being cold doesn’t cause colds but if the virus is present we have a much higher chance of it beating our natural defences if we are cold.
Off topic but my understanding is that cold weather (especially of the sort that we experience in our climate) does not put much strain on an otherwise healthy immune system. Google around and you'll see that others generally seem to agree.

Off topic but my understanding is that cold weather (especially of the sort that we experience in our climate) does not put much strain on an otherwise healthy immune system. Google around and you'll see that others generally seem to agree.

If I argue the toss on this one I will breach the posting guidelines. My knowledge is just based on being married to a GP (and what she learned in college) ... but I’m sure you are correct ;)

If I argue the toss on this one I will breach the posting guidelines. My knowledge is just based on being married to a GP (and what she learned in college) ... but I’m sure you are correct ;)
I've heard of GPs recommending homeopathic remedies and other quackery so I remain skeptical...

Maybe worth adding that cold weather can in itself create a "runny nose" and also cause headaches, regardless of any association with the cold virus/immune systems.

Somewhat off topic, but does the flu vaccine actually give you the flu?

Back