Working while on Parental Leave?

E

escapehell

Hi all

Ok - here's the predicament I'm in ...

I'm absolutely miserable in my current job but have been trapped there for over 5 years now setting up home, getting a mortgage, starting a family etc, etc. I've tried over the years to change jobs but every time I take the step to leave, something crops up - family illness, bereavement .... and obviously family takes priority and my plans get put on the back burner.

Now with the recession changing jobs is obviously very difficult. I am hoping to enter a completely different profession but need to do a basic training course and then to test the waters first to see if full-time work there would be viable to sustain me and my family.

I work in the public sector but career breaks are not an option in my department. Ideally I need a chunk of unpaid leave of c.8 weeks. My only option would be to take 8 weeks parental leave.

I'm aware of the fact that this is not the purpose of parental leave but can't see any other way around this.

If I did 2 days agency work per week while on parental leave, would this show up in pay roll / tax certs etc in my current job??

Back