Working weekends - weekly rest period

europhile

My working week is Monday to Friday. Very occasionally, I have to work Saturday or Sunday for which I am paid overtime or given time off in lieu at double time.

Recently, I had to work both Saturday and Sunday and I understand that legally I should also have been given a day off during that week as a weekly rest period. My employer tried to get me to take this time off during that week from my time in lieu. Surely this can't be right?

I've been unable to get an answer to this question. Is there any organisation I could phone to get an answer? Thanks.

Sign of the times!

I got a recorded message saying that their phonelines were unattended today because of industrial action by members of CPSU.

Europhile,

As far as I understand it, you worked Monday to Friday as normal, then Sat & Sun as overtime for which you got time in lieu at double time. If that's correct, then you can take a rest day during the following week but rest days are not paid. Therefore, if you want to be paid for the full 5 days in that following week, you use part of the time in lieu. Your employer is correct in my opinion.

Back