Working two Jobs - New job and cutting back current hours - advice needed

• Thread starter working2jobs
  • Start date
W

working2jobs

Hello

A basic summery of what I need advice on is how to work a new job (30/hour 4 day week) whilst cutting back my current job from a 24/hour, 3/day contract to an 8/hour 1 day week

I have an interview for a job which I stand a strong chance of getting which would have me working a 4 day, 30 hour week and earning just over €18k.
If successful I'd like to keep working 1 day a week with my current employer which including a Sunday premium would give me a pre-tax salary of just under €25k

I haven't discussed anything with my current employer and would like advice on the best way to approach the situation without making it look like I'm giving an ultimatum

I have worked there a few years and like a lot of people I have a part time contract with the option of overtime on their discretion.
The over time is never consistent and we're told it depends on sales budgets,
but with profits on anything we sell ranging from a 100 to a 500% mark up, it's very hard to believe that they're being totally honest

Also the fact I found out from a former manager that one of their bonuses is the figure left over from their yearly budget which includes staffing costs per department

I feel the need to move on, not only with the possibility of losing the Sunday premium but also as I don't have any faith in how the place is run,
we're always understaffed and have a poor reputation locally for being so

They know how hard we work and can get the most out of us from our part time hours with the possibility of overtime being dangled in front of us every so often so we work even harder.

In the past when I have asked for a full time contract or at least more consistent overtime it has been made clear that there is no chance of either.
There is also no hope of advancement as they rely on external agencies to seek new managers.

They have however always been open to the idea of staff voluntarily cutting back their contracted hours for personal reasons or to attend college,
but considering my situation I feel I could be placing myself on a potential landmine

My main other questions would be:

- If I were to take a weeks holiday from the new job, would it be advisable to work a weeks overtime with my current employer

- Would I need my P45

- How do I make sure my tax credits would be split correctly

Thank You, any advice would be very welcome

Tax issues and double jobbing

Hi there - this is what ive being doing for the past year and a half only difference is that i actually worked two days and worked extra hours in the evening and weekend job sometimes 70 hours a week - ya i know what your thinking - crazy!!!
The only advice I can give you is to weigh up the situation is the new job guaranteed longterm? - ie if your current job went would the new 4 days be secure to support your needs?
secondly where would you be happier?
You could always approach your current boss and tell him that in the current climate you need to generate extra cash, and is there any possiblity that he can give you more permanent work? - if the answer is no - ask him how flexible is he if you were to gain additional employment.

With regard to tax credits you will actually work out better - well i did anyway...
what you need to do is get your payslip with the cut off and the credits on it along with the gross wage - i.e. the amount before your tax is taken. then ring revenue PAYE section for your county (refer to revenue.ie for telephone number). tell them your situation - what they will do is leave you with just enough credits to cover your current income so you wont have any change in your take home from your current employment.
then they will apply the balance of credits etc to your new employer.

In relation to the P45 - no you dont need this revenue will send a certificate of tax credits to your new employer. All of the information you need to provide to revenue when you ring will be on your payslip or your last P60 - you probably got one in April 2011

I actually worked out far better off financially double jobbing as the tax is applied differently to both incomes.
Go for the interview anyway - its good experience and a great confidence boost when your told youve got the job...
Its about where your most content - no point in feeling miserable in a job - life is too short - trust me Ive been there done that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back