Working time directive - time tracking requirements

dermo99

Working in a multinational and several people let go in an already small team, those remaining just expected to take up workload, not really sustainable.
Are employers all supposed to keep records of how many hours you work, as part of the Working Time Directive? No sign of that that I can see and would expect I would need to be reporting hours if in place.

48 hours a week, averaged over a 4 month period is the rule, for most sectors.
info
Do you work more than that?

One issue is that many employers do not request employees to work more than their contracted hours, it is the 'choice' of the employee! Why do you think multinationals like Ireland? We do not complain...in restaurants, shops or our workplaces.

Does the working time act require organisations to monitor working time or simply to have clearly communicated working hours?

Have you considered working smarter :)

Would regularly work more than the 48 alright.

As to working smarter, yes - I do get similar feedback on the home front as well!

Thanks a lot.

Would regularly work more than the 48 alright.

As to working smarter, yes - I do get similar feedback on the home front as well!

Thanks a lot.

Working more than 48 hours a week is not against the rules, doing that or more on average over a 4 month period is the problem.

Understand that alright.
That was also why I was wondering if there are supposed to be time records in place, to allow that average be tracked. I do expect to exceed that average over 4 month period.

There should be a record but many businesses don't have the ability to keep them properly.
Do you fill out a time sheet or clock in and out?

Appreciate all the feedback.
Will have to check further if badge access is used as some form of records, as may mean more working in the office and less catching up in the evenings if that is the case...
Thanks again.

Please edit your thread title to make it more meaningful. Further replies will not be allowed until you do so.

Hope this helps on the title front ... though only seems to edit title on my last reply ?

What is your desired outcome? Are you in a situation where you're doing what I like to term "semi-voluntary unpaid overtime"?

Yes, "semi-voluntary unpaid overtime" is a good term for it. That has always been part of the job - the issue is that since letting one team member go from team of three in last months, the expectation now seems to be that this "semi-voluntary unpaid overtime" is extending to cover their role as well ... not realistic or sustainable.
So the desired outcome is to have a discussion to that point and try and get back to more manageable hours.
Thanks for all the feedback - very much appreciated, and will help.

Not being disrespectful in any way, but the way is just to work less hours. I have been in the same situation. Remember the issue is higher than your pay grade, i.e. the management have chosen to resource your team as they did. It's one thing to help when things go wrong, as I endeavour to do, but quite another to run flat out all the time. So just 'go home' when you have done what you are willing to do - it is only when they see timelines slipping, etc. that they will respond.

That is not disrespectful - that is sensible advice and similar to that I get on the home front. Now down to me to listen to same.

Thanks again.

If you struggle to say no to work.
It helps to make an outside of work commitment, that pulls you away from work.

Back