Working part-time

pillowtalk

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody can offer advice.
I'm currently receiving jobseekers benefit since November, I have been offered a part-time job in my line of work - 2 days one week and 3 days the following week. Although I am still applying for fulltime positions if I were to take this - can I claim for the days I am not working?

Thanks

I imagine that you should be able to. Probably best to just ask at your local Welfare office since you will have to tell them if/when you are working part time anyway.

Short answer is yes. You will get 4 days benfit one week, three days benit other week. (divide weekly rate by 6 to get daily rate)

Hi

Just called the local office and the lady explained that if I have a contract with the company I am basically not entitled as I am not available for work (tied to the company for say probationary period) but if have a verbal contract I would receive part payment.

Is this normal?

Thanks

are you available for work the days you are not working in this job? I have never heard of this before. Welfarite advice above is usually the way jb is paid if someone finds part-time employment.

Sounds strange to me too ...is the contract a full-time contract or part-time? this might have a bearing on it. I know there have been problems in the past with people not entitled to claim for days off as the contract says they mnust be available for 39 hours per week, when in reality the job was 15 hours per week. Teh Heath Boards/HSE are notorious for this kind of thing.
regarding difference between verbal adn written contract: there is none ASAIK, a verbal contract holds same status as written when it comes to employment. So I can't see how SW are correct in making that difference. I would apply for JB and get a formal decision one way or the other. Make sure you strongly state your available and looking for OTHER work in your applicatoion and back it up with evidence. At least with a formal decision you have the right to appeal it and get the exact circumstances as toi why a decision was made.

few years ago mrs cu worked 3 days one week ie mon/wed and 2 days following week thur/fri. however after receiving benefit for about 6 months sw cut if off stating that there was an 'obvious pattern' to her claim the fact that her employer wanted two people to cover the one position appeared to have no bearing on the issue. shortly afterwards she reverted to 5 days x4 hours as did the other 'sharer' so in one sense the s/w decision probably focussed their minds on a better solution.( oddly enough the other sharer was never disqualified so its all very much on who is dealing with the claim.)

Back