Working part-time 5 days-effect UA?

ursprunglich

Hi all,
I am getting unemployment assistance and have the opportunity of a working 5 mornings a week, 4 hours per day - 8am to 12pm. How will this effect my UA does anyone know?
Would appreciate your thoughts.
Thnx.

If the days are any 5 between Monday to Saturday then you will lose all of your UA. The only day that doesn't count for UA and UB is Sunday.

Thanks dublady.
I'm in the process of starting my own business as a computer trainer. And the dole office know this. Is there any leaway given to me on that front does anyone know? As in, I need the time that I'm not working to make the business work, so that I can stop getting state assistance, sooner rather than later.

There are back to work schemes, but it depends how long you've been getting UA for. See here for info - [broken link removed]

Thanks Berni. Great information. I've only recently signed on - just returned back to Ireland - approximately 6 months, so looks like none of those schemes are any good to me.
Does anyone know what are the chances/implications for an employer if they fudge and say that the 20 hours are over 2/3 days, and not 5 days?

I'm not sure if they give the same leeway nowadays, but I was signing on for a while a couple of years ago, then was offered a couple of hours a week work, which could vary from 2 hours a week to perhaps 35 depending on how busy the company were, I went in and told the officer this, and she said to keep a record of my hours for the first month so they could get an idea of what my average weekly hours were, so they could see how much benefit I would then be due on average. They let me keep the full benefit for that month, as they saw it as a step to me getting permanent fulltime work. As it happened, it did, and quite quickly too.

would your employer be amenable to letting you do perhaps 2/3 full days? at least then you could sign for the other days of the week, instead of having it spread out over the 5 days.

Thanks Snuffle. I think I will just have to actively look for work that is 2/3 full days. This job would just not be worth my while doing - I would actually get less money from working 20 hours a week than I would from the dole. There's something messed up about that.

Back