Purple Socks
New Member
- Messages
- 2
Hi all,
I am 51 years old and have recently joined the Civil Service as a Higher Executive Officer (HEO). I have a query regarding the maximum percentage of my gross salary that I can contribute to an Additional Voluntary Contribution (AVC).
Based on my understanding:
Pension-related deductions:
3% of €59,435 = €1,783.05
3.4% of (€59,435 − (€15,564 × 2)) = €990.75
Total pension deductions: €2,773.80, which is approximately 4.66% of gross salary.
I could therefore contribute up to 25.34% of my salary to an AVC.
As the State Pension increases, this percentage would rise. As salary increases, the percentage decreases.
For example, at Point 7 of the HEO scale (€69,849), the total pension deduction would be approximately 4.92% of gross salary.
My questions are:
Is my calculation correct?
What would be a prudent buffer to ensure I do not exceed the maximum allowable contributions? Would contributing 25% to AVCs be considered safe?
Thank you.
I am 51 years old and have recently joined the Civil Service as a Higher Executive Officer (HEO). I have a query regarding the maximum percentage of my gross salary that I can contribute to an Additional Voluntary Contribution (AVC).
Based on my understanding:
- State Pension (OAP): €15,564
- HEO salary (Point 1): €59,435
- Maximum pension contribution at age 50 is 30% of gross salary
Pension-related deductions:
3% of €59,435 = €1,783.05
3.4% of (€59,435 − (€15,564 × 2)) = €990.75
Total pension deductions: €2,773.80, which is approximately 4.66% of gross salary.
I could therefore contribute up to 25.34% of my salary to an AVC.
As the State Pension increases, this percentage would rise. As salary increases, the percentage decreases.
For example, at Point 7 of the HEO scale (€69,849), the total pension deduction would be approximately 4.92% of gross salary.
My questions are:
Is my calculation correct?
What would be a prudent buffer to ensure I do not exceed the maximum allowable contributions? Would contributing 25% to AVCs be considered safe?
Thank you.