Working in NI for first time

marfsmal

Hi folks just wondering if anyone has been through this process could help me with some things I'm not sure about.

I haven't previously worked in Northern Ireland or the UK but I am moving up there shortly and was wondering if there is an average wait for a social security number, their equivalent of our PRSI number? Assuming you have an address.

Also, in terms of P45s, etc. I assume they wouldn't need anything like that if you are new to N Ireland and haven't been taxed in the north before? Is that correct? It would be a load of hassle to get in touch with my last employer to get a copy of my last P45 so I'm hoping this won't be necessary..!

You have to make an appointment with job centre plus to get a national insurance number. That is where the main waiting time is. You will have a number very quickly once you get the appointment.

You won't need an Irish P45. Once you have your NI number you simply apply for a tax code from HMRC. What you did in the republic has nothing to do with it.

Cheers Time, is it possible to book the appointment without confirmed address at the time of booking? I'd like to book it this week and won't have address til late next week.

They will need an address before they will give you an appointment.

They will need an address before they will give you an appointment.

Are you sure about that?

How do people who work in the North and live in the South get a National Insurance number, if that's the case?

Are you sure about that?

How do people who work in the North and live in the South get a National Insurance number, if that's the case?

It was certainly the case in London. No address no appointment.

Maybe NI is unique with it's cross border workers?

Rang Belfast office today and they told me that I can't get appointment without an address in the UK.

Back