Working in Education but not entitled to pay for july and august

whackin

I just took up a post i the third level sector (on June 1st). becasue of the start date I can't be paid for July and August (while technicallly I believe I'm not being laid off). What can I claim in terms of socail welfare for those months? I hear people suggesting that "I draw on my stamps"... but I've no idea what that means only that it relates to PRSI.....

forgive the typos

Re: Workign in Education but not entitled to pay for july and august

Drawing on your stamps (i.e. PRSI payments) presumably means claiming PRSI linked benefits such as Jobseeker's Benefit as opposed to applying for non PRSI linked means tested allowances such as Jobseekers Allowance.

If you are not paid for the school holiday summer period (i.e. temporary teacher, school worker, educator) or, indeed, Xmas, Easter, etc.., you are entitled to sign on for Jobseeker's Benefit (i.e. "draw your stamps"). You should attend your local SW office to do this. Whether or not you get paid depends on your individual circumstances and your previous work record, particularly in 2005 (39 PRSi cons paid or credited?) They will explain to you the procedures. The "Live Register" swells by thousands at these times every year, even though in truth, these people are not unemployed!

Thanks Clubman and Welfarite. I have only been working fulltime for the past year so it looks like I might have difficulty as in 2005 I wasn't earning enough to pay PRSI. Is there any alternative for me to the Jobseekers allowance then? Would I qualify for Jobseekers allowance? Technically would I be unemployed once the end of june arrives or am I just not being paid?

If you don't have the required PRSI contributions to qualify for PRSI linked Jobseekers Benefit then you should probably apply for means tested Jobseekers Allowance. Have you also considered lining up temporary/part time work for these months?

Whackin

As long as you earn more than €38 a week you get a Class A PRSI contribution. You do not have to pay PRSI to be covered for Jobseeker's Benefit or other social insurance payments. Unfortunately this is a major misconception where people think they actually have to pay PRSI to be covered. You can earn up to €339 a week and still get a Class A PRSI contribution (Subclass AO).Your employer would also have paid Employer's PRSI for you.

Have a look here. http://www.welfare.ie/publications/sw14.html#classa

Have a look at your P60 for 2005 and as long as you have the required number of A contributions you may be ok.

The staff in the Social Welfare Office should be able to look up your contributions and advise you which payment to apply for,

Hope this helps.

I think what Busymam means is that it is not only paid PRSI contributions on earnings over €38 that count, but also "credited" contributions that you get when you claim a SW benefit. The total between them however must be 39 weeks or over in 2005 in your case. Details of means are assessed for JA are on the www.welfare.ie site. As all cases are different and it is hard to advise you of your exact entitlements here without full facts, the best thing to do is to call to the local SW office and talk to them there adn make a claim. worst case scenario is that you are not entitled to pay, but if you "sign on", the credits you get will be very important in the future!

Thanks for the clarification All. I'll contact the s/w office and see what they say. At least now I'll have a rough idea of what they are saying to me....

Back